Monday, August 11, 2008

What differences!

We are all doing really well here as a new family of four and I thank you all for your prayers. I only spent 8 hours in the hospital, because both Nevaeh and I were discharged right away because we both were absolutely fine. It has been nice returning to home. One of my neighbors, who is Indian, and owns her own restaurant with her husband, has brought over dinner for me three times now. Whenever she comes to visit she always wants to make sure Nevaeh is wrapped up with many blankets so she doesn't get cold and she always tells me how surprised she is to find me up. Here in Kenya a woman stays in her bed for one month after she delivers her baby! Mercy, is always trying to tell me I am going to break my back from walking around the house and can't believe I am not sleeping all the time. Here in there culture a relative or close friend will come to stay with the new mother for the month and run the house while the mother rests. All the meals will be brought to the bedroom so supposedly the mom gets really fat from lack of movement and just constantly eating. Although I might like this for a day- that would be it bc I get so antsy staying home. Also I was told if anyone holds a new baby, besides the mom or dad, during the first month, they have to pay money. It can be a small amount like 5 shillings but nonetheless money has to be paid bc the baby is so new. So interesting. 

Righteous really likes her new sister and is always kissing her and trying to snuggle up right next to her. At times I can tell she is wanting more attention from us and feels a little neglected. Whenever Jason goes out to do errand he takes her and I can tell this one on one bonding time makes her feel really special. When I am holding Nevaeh there are many times Righteous tries to come and have me hold her as well and will try to sit on Nevaeh. It is funny but still you can see the jealousy at work. I know all this is still all new for all of us, not even a week yet and I am excited to have our family a little larger. I am very fulfilled when I look back at the day.
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
I am trying to catch up on your posts..what I've read has been very interesting..oh how it would be nice to have some of those traditions in the USA, huh? Someone entertaining your child while you eat supper, staying in bed a month after giving birth, people paying you to hold your baby! My..we could have gotten a college fund started!
Great to see pics of you all, so glad everyone is doing well!
Take care..

Heather said...

Bekah, I have come to a conclusion..Neveah has your hands. Those long skinny fingers...she sure didn't get them from Jason! :)
Miss you guys!!