Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Goatees, Goats and House Girl's









Almost a month now in our new home and it feels so good to have a place to call my own. At first when I unpacked everything I realized that Righteous barely had any toys to play with. All I had for her was a puzzle and some small books that’s it. We are so grateful for our friends and family who sent packages to our Bethany students when they were home on vacation to bring over here for us. It is funny that Righteous didn’t even know she didn’t have a lot of things and just can make random things as something to play with- like cups and pots and pans. Also she is a major outside girl. We always have herds of goats walking on the dirt road outside and occasionally they sneak into our yard and Righty really wants to make one her pet but I am always afraid they are going to head butt her. There have been some comments on the resemblance of Jason and goats but you can decide for yourself. (2 pics)





I want to introduce our housegirl, Catherine, to the blogworld. She is a Cumba (one of the tribes of Kenya. Kikuyu is the largest tribe and the President is from that tribe. This past January there was election held which caused riots and killings from the kikuyu tribe and the Luo tribe because of the two men running. ) Catherine is 29 although on her ID they have put the wrong age saying she was born 1074. She has worked in the infant unit in the hospital making her excellent to help me with my children. Catherine usually works 10 hour days doing various cleaning jobs and when I put down the girls to nap she remains in the house so I can go out and do ministry for those 2 hours. I had to teach Catherine that we Americans let our children cry sometimes. At first she was always picking Righteous up from her nap right after I had just put her down simply because Righty was crying. We are just learning a whole lot together.
Being a mother to a newborn in this community culture I have learned that I will receive all sorts of advice and comments. One comment I have really had to get use to was people telling me to put Nevaeh on my breast as soon as she whimpers. I have had young teachers tell me this as well as old men. The word for breast is matiti which really shocked me at first. Besides this everyone always thinks she is cold because I never have her head covered while all other Kenyan babies wear winter caps. I am finally very use to this and except it as we are all one big happy family. I have gone to visit the orphanage here and didn’t see Nevaeh the whole time because she was getting passed from one person to the next. On Saturday we went witht the local school to plant trees in the village and one of the students held Nevaeh for me the whole time as we walked a few kilometers to our destination. It is so nice to have many willing to give me a break!

4 comments:

extraspecialbitter said...

the goatee is definitely a good start, but is Jason hiding horns under that towel?

Kaitlin said...

adorable & hilarious main blog photo. awwww.

Bekah said...

You are BEAUTIFUL! Your girls are precious beyond words and Jason is, well, he's Jason:) I love you Bekah, and I miss you a lot...

Anonymous said...

Matiti? Oh my goodness! I am laughing laughing laughing just imagining your face when you heard that