Saturday, February 21, 2009

Time with my bro Tim!












We had such a blast having Tim with us for two weeks. The strange thing was that it didn’t seem abnormal just having him around. He never complained of the heat or electricity going out- he really fit right in living in Africa. One thing that hit Tim by surprise was how loud donkeys are. You can often hear them "hee- hawing" all through out the night. Also Tim thought the call to prayer was pretty loud when he first arrived to our home in the pitch black (figures we had no electricity) but I think that is due to the fact that the fans weren’t going to cover up the sound. I really don’t notice the call to prayer anymore but perhaps I have gotten use to it. One of the first things we did together was attend a Swahili class with the new Bethany College students. Tim picked up words so much faster than I ever did, again he was just meant to live in Africa;). Tim got to visit two schools here that are the outreaches to the village children. We live in perfect location where 6 unreached people groups surround us. These six are called Munyuyiyas, Malochotes, Somalis, Watas, Ormas, and the Boranas. These people are mostly Muslim but some have Animism intertwined into their religion. That is where the witch doctors come in. Tim told me that he was very impressed with the school that Jaco is in charge of. There is so much need here in our town that perhaps one day Tim will be in charge of a school to bring education to one of the people groups.
In one of the pictures Tim is holding Righteous and standing next to the Kenyan, Josiah. I thought this was neat because we have a brother, Josiah, who a marine in Iraq right now. I love you Josiah if you are reading this! On the first Wednesday night we had a goat barbecue to say good bye to Jaco- who is reunited with his family in South Africa right now. Tim got to witness his first ever goat slaughtering. There is a before picture of the goat. On another day Tim helped to finish rescreening our house. This really needed to be done to prevent the mosquitoes from coming in and hopefully we won’t get malaria anymore. The last part of our time with Tim he paid for us all to go on a safari to see the wild animals, which I will post on a separate blog in a day or so. It was such a tremendous blessing having Tim and I am already looking forward until he comes again next year which he is already planning to do. Hooray!

No comments: