Sunday, March 7, 2010

Medical stuff

In two seperate days Momma Witt helped out treating sick students at one of the schools near us and took a tour of the local hospital. It was obvious to see she was in her eliment and she has such compassion to provide quality care to the patient. A few things she was surprised about was being able to assess and then provide medicine without a doctor's approval and directly giving medication to children without parental consent. Once again things are just done so differently here. I have really tried to stop making comparison's of how things are done in the States when at first glance I can give practical and even safety precaution reasons to back up the why. This is not America. I will not be able to change how every day life's activities are conducted and what is the point of me to judge them. I remember learning about ethnocentrism and even the interns have a class that goes into detail about it. It is so easy to fall into the mentality that my own culture and country is better and does things better than another. Ethnocentric viewpoints are not what God desires. He loves all cultures and one is not better than the other. Following the Bible and loving our neighbors is the standard we are held to not what good policies a country has.

In the top picture it is showing the delivery room in the hospital. There was a very kind nurse, the same one who saw the sick students with Momma Witt at the school, who took us to every ward in the hospital taking us nearly 2 hours. There were 20 women in labor when we went and, not enough doctors to help, especially since there were several cases with complications. Righteous is so precious and wanted to go and see every baby that was just born. When we went to the children's section she also wanted to go up to each bed. It broke my heart to see such sick children some literally fighting for their lives. When Righteous noticed a child with a burn or wound she would say "They have a boo-boo lets pray for Jesus to help them". Each time we would hold hands and kneel on the floor and say a quick prayer for healing. Her innocence and faith really helped me as I was feeling such sadness and helplessness. Jesus doesn't want us to forget that there is sickness everyday and effecting the newest baby up to very elderly people. Just as I know He wants us to feed the hungry and visit those in prison, I felt such a conviction to not forget about those in the hospital. When we go to shake the hands of the sick and spend time with them we are doing it as unto Jesus.

It was neat for me to hear Momma Witt ask certain questions to the different doctors we met such as is there anything being done for cancer, AIDS, and diabetics. We found out there is only one hospital that deals with cancer and it is in Nairobi so a person would have to go their for treatments and care. She asked about the salary for a nurse and it is roughly $300a month and a tacher's salary is around $150 a month. Before being apalled at this we have to remember the cost of living is significantly cheap but still both these jobs deserve so much more. I was surprised at how big this hospital was and it was really good because there were so many patients. I am beggining to pray about how God would want to use me to minister there.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the email. Even though I do not leave a comment much of the time, I do read your blog, checking it almost daily. It is a wonderful way to keep connected to you guys. Your ministry is so important and I love hearing what you are doing. It must be such an honor to serve in the way you are serving! I thank you for your descriptive updates. It must be wonderful having Momma Witt there! What a blessing! I love you all very much!

Bonnie