
Right now we are moving in a direction where big things are just getting ready to happen. For these begining two years it has been so good to be able to take the time to live in Kenya and find out what the needs are physically and spiritually. By no means would I boast that I have the answer to physically be able to stop poverty or the spread of AIDS or provide education to allow people to find success in life. What we do have is the answer of hope and that is Jesus. I am reminded of the children tune taken from Acts 3:1-8 "Silver and gold have I none,- but such as I have I give thee, In the name of Je-sus Christ-of Nazareth, rise up and walk."

I feel like I am constantly climbing a latter here and with each step I am learning something new about a person and their cultural difference. My spiritual walk with God is the same. Even though I have completed Bible college and been a Christian for a majority of my life there is still so much height left on the ladder for me to climb. I am happy it is like that. That there will not be a time that I have "arrived" and know all there is to know. In a town outside of Nairobi the first missionaries came with salt and sugar for the mcumba people. They spoke of Jesus' love being sweeter than the sugar they gave to the families and once a person becomes a Christian they become the salt of the world. It was these two gifts that brought the gospel to that town and many stopped the traditional practices of FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) and seeking the witch doctor's rituals for sickness. Although many decided to follow Jesus- there wasn't always discipleship following where new believers would look to the Bible to find truth and a new life. Often when a crisis in life comes, a person will return to the former way of finding help- a visit to the witch doctor. I can see that there is not a full understanding of the power of Jesus. What I have begun to pray about is what can be done to correct that and be applicable within the culture- not necessarily the way I as a westerner would grasp it. I am wanting to learn how to help in order to climb another step of my latter.

How I delight in being in the Lord's presence and learning about Him. He doesn't measure our success the way us humans do. Only He can see the heart of man and be the ultimate judge, not us. If there is ever a time that I am used to bring someone to know Jesus- it was never me that did the "saving"- but the Holy Spirit softening their hearts and making it ready for them to recieve. This takes the pressure off of me feeling like i have failed or giving myself credit for accomplishments. Recently I have been challenged by a believer here. We have different views on what it means to be a Christian here and "evangelizing" those who are not. After our discussion what was impressed upon me is to pray for one another because we are on the same side. It is interesting to see that conflict can try to come not only to those who do not have the same religion but even with those who do. When conflict comes there is a temptation to stand still on the ladder or even go backwards. My desire is to go up. There is where eternal life with my Savior is and I want to keep moving in that direction.


2 comments:
It's hard to believe that Nevaeh is going to be 2 in just over 2 weeks!
I loved the "Illustrations" with your blog! So cute. Praying for you all.
Love, The Macfarlans
Post a Comment