Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey before the table


WARNING:the pictures on this post are a bit graphic!
A few people have asked what we did for Thanksgiving- followed by were we able to have turkey? There are no turkey's for sale anywhere in our town but luckily our friend Jaco had several that he was grazing at his home. We had the great pleasure of slaughtering to of them for this Thanksgiving event. Our intern Tim had explained a unique technique on how to have the head pop off by holding down a pipe across the neck and then pulling the legs forcefully behind. (This is shown in the above picture) Jason couldn't figure out how this would work but sure enough off came the head and there was a headless turkey flapping about.

Growing up in Kenya my children have seen a lot they would never seen had they been growing up in America. The slaughtering of animals is often a weekly occurrence and has allowed me to explain to them that God has given man animals to eat. I think I have written about us buying a live sheep and putting it in the back of Jason's truck. On the ride home Righteous turns to look it in the eyes in the back and says to it, "I'm going to eat you." It always surprises me how they grasp things and how this life here in Africa is so normal for them.
I never knew how to de-feather birds until I came here. You get a pot and heat up the water. It has to be just the right temperature to easily remove the feathers, but not too boiling that it would start to cook the meat.
To our surprise there was a bunch of eggs inside of the turkey. There was one big egg that was in the tube and probably would have been layed that very day. I definitely get grossed out seeing the innards and really try to get that visible picture out of my head when I ate the stuffing and gravy which was made from the innards being boiled for two hours.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with 16 people,consisting of mostly Americans 2 Kenyans, and a family from India. I will post pictures of that tomorrow. I hope you all had a wonderful time being together and celebrating too!

1 comment:

laurie.momofthree said...

Becca, THANKS for sharing your thoughts, what God is teaching you...and the pics! We loved Righteous's comment to the sheep!! And we also learned this method of popping heads off of chickens in our "jungle training camp" many years ago. They also taught us to swing the bird around by the feet several times first so it is dizzy and lays still...yuck! Not my favorite lesson of the several months there!