
It was many months ago that a began an art project about creation at a school. Several weeks ago I finally got to finish it. Why did it take so long? I think I have really adjusted to the African lifestyle of days being casual and not structured. Friendships mean more here than keeping a schedule so even if you had planned to leave your house at 3pm and someone shows up at your door, you postpone your prior arrangement or drop it all together. The nice part about this is that it okay to show up a few minutes (half an hour and even an hour can be permitted) late at different functions such as church, prayer meetings, weddings, etc. I have to admit this suits me perfectly with my 3 children. Whenever we leave the house I begin the checklist in my head: 2 cups full of juice? Check, Blanket to throw over the baby when I nurse her? Check Sunglasses to protect eyes? Check Enough diapers for both Nevaeh and Charis is something comes up and we are delayed several hours than planned for? Check. Even despite the checklist there is always something that I have missed when we all are buckled in the car and ready to go. It has been Righteous wearing two different shoes- 1 being a high heel that is just for playing dress-up (when they are simply missed match shoes I continue on.) and I go run back in the house to get the right pair. Also Nevaeh loves to drink juice, which is great that she always stays hydrated, but there have been times she has already downed her cup by the time I have buckled baby in carseat and then I run back in the house to make the refill and then back to the car. All this to say, even though it has taken me a few months to complete an art project on creation, it is great to have it finished.

Righteous and Nevaeh are my excellent helpers and always eager to use glue, scissors, and markers even though with all of those they are a bit to small to use those to perfection. I have to admit before I began this project I did not know the order of creation. I ended up making a booklet and stapled together with a front page saying Creation using magazine letters. Let me briefly explain what we did to represent each day.
Day1: Wrote Day in Yellow and Orange on top, and Night written on the bottom in Blue and purple.
Day2: Clouds made from cotton on top and draw water on bottom
Day3: First go outside and collect dirt to glue on the bottom of the paper and then collect leaves and flowers to glue on top of the dirt.
Day4: The earth in the middle and glue a moon and a sun that has glitter n it around the earth.
Day5: Draw a bird on top and glue feathers on its wings and draw different fish on the bottom.
Day6: Do your best to draw Adam and Eve and then get a bunch of animal stickers to stick all around them.
Day7: Use ice pop wooden sticks to make the outline of a bed and then cut a rectangle of colored paper to glue on the bed-frame as the blanket and lastly glue a Styrofoam "packing peanut" on as a pillow.
When all pages are done you can poke a whole through all of them and insert a ribbon to hold them together or just staple them all together. I also made a main example for the class tying on each page with string and hanging it from a hanger.

2 comments:
Oh, that was such a nice day! Got some good photos from it :)
Aww Bekah I am glad that you got to finish your project. I remember when I went with you one day to work on it. I laughed at the bit about righteous and her one high heel shoe lol. I am missing you, the girls, and the team. I am praying for you guys and thinking about you often. God bless you all!
Post a Comment