Friday, April 4, 2014

The Bride

It has been awhile since I have written. We were in Nairobi for two weeks, being able to celebrate baby Anna's birth with a baby shower. (Congratulations to the parents John and Pearl!) It was fun to have both Expatriate women and Kenyans share there advice for new mom. The two tips I can remember at the top of my head is read the book Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. Secondly make sure you breastfeed your baby for at LEAST two years. 
Another joy we had while we were in Nairobi was picking up our new team members, Tim and Laura Kopelov with their 11 month year old daughter Revekah. They have adjusted very well considering how much longer everything seems to take here than America. In Nairobi they were able to purchase a vehicle. Now they are settling into G-town and staying with us as they get there house set up.

I got invited to my first wedding once we got back to G-town, and Laura was able to come along. We walked into a room filled with women dressed in their finest. They were all seated on the floor swaying to the drum beat. The bride had not yet arrived so I could feel the eagerness- when will she come and what she would look like? We were given square blocks made from wood so that we could keep the beat of the drums. As I looked around I noticed the detailed henna on the hands, arms, feet, and legs of the women. They also had many layers of make up that glistened when they moved. There was an open circle in the center of the room that women would go in twos to dance. I got asked to dance by and old dear friend and was hesitant but went for it. My friend taught me the basic foot movements and away we went. I know I could not even compare with the others who had danced before me but I tried my best. A quick glance at those who were on the floor and I saw their smiley faces looking up at me. For that moment all religious preferences and regulations were forgotten. We were just women brought together for this special occasion. It wasn't long after I sat down that someone got the phone call that the bride had arrived. We made a path around the door. Then she entered along with the woman who had done her make up and hair. Silver bells were fastened around her ankle as well as belt put around her waist. They began to dance in the center of the room. Within a few minutes the make-up/hair woman was replaced by both the mother of the bride and the mother in law. The dance continued. I looked at the time and we needed to go to get home before it got dark. I apologized to the women around me that I couldn't stay any longer, but the response was, "it is okay, you were here to see the bride come." Now that she was there everyone was free to go. Of course. That was the whole point of all this. For us to look upon the new bride. As I reflect upon this, I can't help to think of  the time When the Lord will come back to get us, the church, as His bride. How much I want every women that was in the room with me to join in the excitement along with me as we see God Almighty come. 

"Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and His bride has made herself ready." Revelation 19:7

Pearl opening up the baby gifts

Nancy Germo passing baby to Chrissy Kelly

Precious Baby Anna

Pic #1 of us going to see the Bride - don't know why it is looks like this

Pic #2 of us going to see the bride- don't know why it is so blurry


No comments: