Thursday, March 7, 2019

He leaves the 99 for the 1.

As I told the story in English, Bethany, one of the interns, translated for me in Swahili. 
 Day in and day out I am learning so much as a teach 3 children in elementary school ages and my eldest in junior high. I have forgotten so much and it is as if I am hearing some stories for the first time- Inventors who developed gadgets I use all the time or explorers who discovered new lands. There are times of frustration when figuring out dividing fractions and when sounding out a big word is too difficult because all the normal vowel and constanent rules go out the window. We have taken a break from working out due to the even hotter temperatures so afternoons have been filled with listening to Oddesey episodes or dancing to music videos or my personal favorite- CRAFTS.

Every now and then I feel the Lord giving me an itch to share a Bible story out of my home. He begins to whisper the truths to emphasize on and the layout to capture the attention of little children. I don't take this lightly. These children have been "born Muslim" and their schedules are filled with tasks crucial to their faith. They are so precious to the Lord. They are learning to pray 5 times a day and memorize the Qur'an. They watch the traditions that happen for weddings and burials and see the dedication of their families to fasting for 30 days during Ramadan every year. Every Friday this town is filled with beggars going from shop to shop to receive alms while the speakers preach of who Allah is.

My hearts cry is for them to know Jesus.
Today I asked Jason to join us as we share about David the shepherd boy, the youngest of seven sons. He was the one chosen to be the next king. God often uses the one we least expect for He doesn't look at the outward appearance. He sees straight through our flesh into our hearts. Jason played Reckless Love today. He brought his guitar and the children could not stop staring in awe. They had only seen a guitar as a picture in a book. It was so amazing to watch them gazing at it.
And when we sang "Oh the overwhelming, never ending reckless love of God. It chases me down fights until I'm found leaves the 99" we had to do all we could to not loose it in front of these littles ones.

That is my Jesus. He loves them so much. "This love we cannot earn or deserve. There is no shadow He won't light up or mountain He won't climb up as He comes after us. There is no wall He won't kick down or lie He won't tear down as He comes after us."



The sheep made from toilet paper rolls and cotton.

My daughters helped me cut out all the pieces days before and helped the children glue things together.



Meanwhile Jason plays more songs outside.




5 comments:

Maliza said...

Overwhelming is right.

Renee Stocks said...

I am remembering the first time you told me, Bekah, so long ago now - that you prepared simple crafts that demonstrated Biblical truth & took them to places children would be waiting with nothing to occupy them. At that time, you & Righteous & Neveah were going to the hospital waiting area, I believe. I was struck by the humility & simplicity of your actions, & still am. God has blessed you with a creative, humble, gentle courage. May the power of the Holy Spirit flow unimpeded through you & all you do, I ask in the Name of Jesus Christ.

Jordan S said...

Exciting to see the whole family serving together! What a privilege to be able to do this anywhere God has placed us. I'm hoping to meet up physically or via video chat with the Benson's when I am down at Bethany in a few weeks. Pray that it will be clear what the partnership between them and KCC should look like, please! Thanks for the regular updates! 🙂

The Wittz End said...

Renee,I cannot get over your memory. It truly satisfies my soul when I get the chance to be out in the community and do a craft and give a smile to little ones, this is my offering I have to bring. When we first came I didn't know how to bridge the huge gap of two different cultures but the Lord has taught me so much, just use the gifting I am already passionate about and plug that in to the different places we go to.I think originally I was trying to complex the scernarios or felt like I should be copying someone else's ministry. God has made us so individual and each of us has something to offer!

The Wittz End said...

Hi Jordan! That is awesome you are going to try to connect with the Benson's. We are super excited to have the m come out here and also for the potential partnership that your church will have with them. We are praying for clear communication and direction for you all!