Monday, July 13, 2020

George Floyd memorial

 When we were about to purchase our plane tickets to Minneapolis in June, we kept in close contact with Dan Germo to make sure we weren't being foolish in coming. George Floyd's brutal murder ignited the spark that started the fight against racism across the States. Racism has always existed but seemed buried in lots of layers. Now it has risen to the surface and everyone has to examine their hearts and ask themselves what are they going to do about it?

The Germo family and the Neter family live in Minneapolis. They were able to watch the effect of that day in June and join in the desire and prayer for justice. We asked the Germos to walk with us to the George Floyd memorial and show us all the burnt down buildings down lake street. It was very eye opening to see firsthand. We have had many conversations with our daughters these past few weeks. We emphasize that no matter what color skin a person has, every man and woman has been created in the image of God.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." Genesis 1:27
"God blessed them and said to them
'Be fruitful and increase in number, fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.'
Then God said,
`I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground- everything that has breath of life in it- I give every green plant for food'
God saw all that He had made, and there was evening, and there was morning- the sixth day.
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." Genesis 1:28-2:1

It seems like people have gone so far away from the perfection of the beginning of earth being created by God. Adam and Eve were deceived by the craftiness of the serpent which caused the fall of man. Everywhere I turn I see that the enemy is still trying to deceive. Only God is good. All the messed up ugliness that exists is because we live in a fallen world. One day Jesus will return. All will bow before the Lamb seated on the throne. Until that day there is great evil and wickedness that takes place in every city and every town. Only Jesus can restore. Jesus can bring beauty out of ashes.











2 comments:

Bethany said...

Thanks for sharing! You truly came during such a historic time for our country!

Renee Stocks said...

When I was very young, race riots occurred near my home. I was so impacted by my parents' response. I remember them as being curious & compassionate toward those feeling oppressed. In an area saturated with prejudice, my home was different - not in any loud or confrontational way, but different enough that I was aware my parents didn't feel like most we lived among. I treasure the way this shaped me, & it warms my heart to know you are giving a similar perspective to your children.