Sunday, January 17, 2021

According to Righteous

People have always asked me what is it like to live over seas? I always put some thought into it but never came up with a conclusion. I asked my parents to help me, what was different, what did I miss? Being back I think so much more about it. I discovered why I did not have the answer. My reason is that I did not have the courage, to give the answer from my perspective. Further more I also did not think of anything specifically. I sit back in my chair and wonder was I afraid of what people would say? If I am to be completely honest, yes, I was scared. My thought process back then was, will this answer make them not like me? I see now none of that matters.

You all know our family had some hard challenges when we were in America last year for our Furlough. First of all Covid happened, it ruined our traveling plans. I will tell you I was very disappointed but saw the blessing of  getting to spend lots of time with my Dads family and know the better.  In the beginning I was so ready to go home-back to Kenya. I am a third culture kid and on top of that a teenager. However that means that my thought process is different then any other kid or teenager around the world. I do not think like a Kenyan or an American  teenager, but instead I think in a mixture of both forming its own culture. Making friends is not always easy. When I say you are my friend you are a true friend. Towards the end of our time in the States I was experiencing the loss of a grandparent. In June my parents gave me a phone. I found it very useful during this time when my parents with were my grandmother until she passed away. It helped us to communicate when they were gone, for a night. In the midst of this loss and hardship of not having your parents always around there was some good. for example us four girl grew closer and talked about the heaviness of that season. Likewise having a phone I was able to connect with the friendships I have as well. 

Being back in Kenya makes me really miss the friendships I made back in America. I understand that our family is  doing Gods work and that means a few times I will be lonely. I have found He always provides someone in that time of loneliness. At times its through a message of email with a simple how are you or miss you, or the lord just saying, "am I enough?" During those times I find the friends being my go to. Recently I have been seeing no one is perfect not even me. That God can be so much more then a friend I have. Going back to what I said before is God enough?      

                                                                    Isaiah 41:10                                                                                        "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."      

                                                                            Ephesians 3:19                                                                                        "May you experience the love of Christ though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."

                                                                                    Hebrew 11:6                                                                                           And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him." 

In all of these verses I see God was always with me even when I did not feel or see him. That I just have to turn to him to find my best friend and that He is always waiting for me to call out to Him. How is it that He loves me the way He does when I do not always look to Him? The answer is always there that the Lord takes us for who we are and loves us. I see that is the friend I want and will be satisfied in him who gives me strength! If you ever want to email me my email's: righteoushopewitt@icloud.com
Good friend I met twice  in North Carolina and got to know a lot more over messages. Her name is Annabelle and is 17. 
Vian and Imaan I met in Minnesota.
Leigha came to Kenya for a few days with her Dad. She is a midwife and is great at what she does. I was inspired by Leigha and Aunt Jenny to become a missionary midwife still thinking, is that what God has instore for me. 
At Aunt Jenny Halls house. They were very kind and let us have any visitors over. The Germo' are over and the DeMello's. 

Volarie was a intern in 2018-2019. We loved seeing her face.
Playing one of my favorite games with the  DeMello girls. Aunt Jenny is teaching us.
Charlotte Hall always ready for a picture or to be cute.
Germo's extended family. Being silly trying to jump all at the same time. We do have a picture in which we succeeded but this is not the one.  
In North Dakota with the Germo's big family. We always had to be ready to smile for a picture at anytime.
On Argo with my cousins on my Dads side. We always had a fun adventure.
Cousin and us girls getting fancy for a tea party. We are wearing our Aunts proms dresses. We had so much fun.
Cousins on Mom's side. A little hard taking a selfie.
A group of kids and teenagers that we got along really well with in Minnesota. We zoom call with them every week.
Old picture of our good friends in South Carolina. The family's name is the Strothers and they have four boys around the same ages as my sisters and I.
Our family a few days before we're going to the States

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Beautifully written Righteous! You definitely have a unique point of view that benefits us all to hear!

Lucy said...

Great read. Would love to read more from you.

Bonnie said...

A well written and insightful read! Thank you for sharing your perspective! Earthly friends are wonderful and even necessary for sure. But, you so eloquently remind us that Jesus is the one who is always there; the ONE who will always be there for us no matter what. I think you should keep writing!

Star and Phil said...

I'm so plesaed to read some of your thoughts Righteous. I'm proud of you. Our oldest grandaughter Melodie is very much like you in many ways...she too has a heart to serve Jesus and live for Him. I will try to connect you with her. She just turned 15 last week, but because of covid we had to have a screen visit for that special occasion. Her schooling is all online now because of the lockdown here. She has whatsapp and i'm not sure what other apps. she texts too. Her number is +1 226 507 3603. I will give her your contact too. love you sana !Aunt Star

Unknown said...

So beautiful!!!!!!

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you, Righteous, for sharing some of how you think & feel. I thoroughly enjoyed your gift of yourself.

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feeling with us! I honestly did not know what a third culture child was!
I admire your insights at your age .. you are well past where I was as at the same stage of life... Your parents have provided you a very unique opportunity to see the world from a perspective that not many people have. You are very blessed and obviously very loved. I love reading about all of your families travels and always think of your grandma Bernadette every day… Consider yourself hugged. - love Lisa

Imaan said...

That was great! I had so much fun reading this. We miss you so much!

Jordan S said...

Hey.... what's up with getting more responses than your mom 😂😊 Seriously, great to hear a young lady admitting her struggles but also going to our source for everything worthwhile.... Jesus Christ the Righteous!🙂 Keep Him as #1😉🙏