In January I wrote a post about Christmas at the farm and asked you all to pray for boldness and wisdom in moving forward with going deeper about Jesus. I can tell you now that we have been seeing fruit from your prayers. We have been able to have more opportunities to share the Good News more often than any other time since moving here in 2008.
Come follow me is a discipleship tool that we were equipped with recently. It is and obedience based discipleship curriculum geared specifically towards BMB. (Believers from Muslim background) It consists of 20 lessons covering a variety of foundation topics ranging from making the decision to follow Christ , God as the Father, Listening to and Obeying the Holy Spirit, Persecution, marriage, Baptism , Serving one another etc.... I have found it to be a good resource. About 3 weeks ago I began going through this material with a friend I have here. I was not sure if this friend was a follower of Jesus but he was having some family issues at home and I asked him if I could take him through this material and see if it could help him deal with the home issues. He agreed that he would like to try. So we agreed to meet weekly together with Amos and I also included the guy interns. We have met faithfully for the last 3 weeks and I have been so encouraged by the results.
At the end of the first week's lesson about Becoming Christ's Follower you have to answer one of 3 questions: Either you are already a follower of Christ, you want to become a follower of Christ, or you need more time to think. We all went around and answered the question my friend who is of Muslim background went last. I honestly did not know how he would respond. He first talked about Islam and his walk through a life and its different stages the struggles and the ups and downs. I then realized that this guy is already giving his testimony. He got to the point where he said he realized that Jesus is good and he wants to follow Him. This was the first time he said that out loud to a group of people. He told us that if he did not want to follow Jesus he could not have agreed to come for these meetings and he would not be carrying around his Bible (which he has come with faithfully every week and been reading aloud with).
It has been such a privilege to watch over the last few weeks as my friends heart of stone is being transformed into a heart of flesh. In the first lesson it talked about being fishers of men and he asked me in Swahili how can we go fishing for men. In that moment I felt like Phillip and the Ethiopian Eunuch. He has been engaged and he is asking questions and grasping concepts. In week 2 we talked about having a new identity, being born again, and having a new nature. Then in week 3 we talked about God as Father. These are some of the very core things that are hard for BMB's to grasp at times but he seems to really grasp them well. Things were going so well....
Then I got a text from him midnight the day after our third study saying that his wife had done something foolish and he wanted to divorce her. I found out the next day that they had a disagreement and she wanted to leave he tried to stop her and it became a big ordeal in the village. She made claims that he beat her he swears he did not. No one saw him beat her but when she made the accusations her father and mother came and started beating him in which he did not retaliate to them. (there are witnesses to this) In any sense you can get the point this was not a good situation. It sounded like a little Jerry Springer episode in the village.
I was so discouraged hearing this news and I did not really know what to do from there. I thought we were making progress and now this. Then the Lord reminded me that the devil does not like what is going on and he will do everything to sabotage this. Later on we confirmed he had told the truth and that had not beaten her but it was some sort of a plan from the in laws to frame him and try to extort money for Ramadan. Here when there is a disagreement between a husband and wife if the wife goes back to her parents then the husband will have to pay Masila ( which is a fine to say sorry) This is his first experience of persecution and unfortunately I do not think it will be his last.
Pray with us for our friend and brother Abu. Pray that God will continue to strengthen him with His word.
Pray that Jesus will save his wife and children and that their family will be salt and light to the rest of the village.
Pray that we get the come follow me material in swahili soon. Right now I am translating it all verbally in our study times. I enjoy testing my language proficiency but I would also like Abu to have his own workbook to do the lessons on his own. Then when we meet we can have more time exploring God's word.
Pray for others to be open and for us to continue to be obedient because the Lamb is worthy to receive the sacrifice of His sufferings.

4 comments:
Awesome!...and I really mean it! God is faithful to answer prayer, in His timing and with the result that at least some will come to repentance! Thanks for continuing faithfully to preach to those who have ears to hear and we'll definitely be praying for Abu and family extended. As you say, not surprising that there is persecution by the enemy but God is stronger and able to pull down the strongholds through the power of His Spirit, His Word and prayer! Be not afraid or discouraged! Greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world and He's not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
I have been persistently praying for Spirit-led boldness for all of you, & it is encouraging to read what you have shared. I have begun to intercede for Abu & his family, & for Swahili materials. Thank you so much for such specific prayer requests!
Jason, I am so proud of you and your obedience. You are an amazing man. You are doing great things through our LORD. MANY PRAYERS FOR YOU ALL AND ABU AND HIS FAMILY. The devil is a liar and a LOSER. I love you honey!!!
Post a Comment