Sunday, June 27, 2021

College friends, traveling, and a big surprise

We recently had the privilege of having the Schlabach family come to visit. We went to college (it was called BCOM- Bethany College of Missions back then) with Rhine and Krista Schlabach but of course at the time we were all single. Rhine was a groomsman in our wedding. I never ever thought they would make it out to Kenya so this was such a special treat for us. Our children immediately gelled with their 4 children- being able to relate as fellow MK's. We had 3 days together in Gtown then we all traveled to Nairobi and the following day, flew to Mombasa. Rhine and Jason joined other Bethany regional leaders for some meetings. Krista and I had fun in the sun with our kiddos and had heartfelt conversations with each other as well as with other ladies.

During our time in Gtown we got to have Rhine and Krista come to the farm on the first day. We stopped our vehicles at the river and spotted hippos chilling in the water and 6 crocodiles sand bathing on the sandbar. Then we walked around the farm to greet the workers and tried to avoid the thorny bushes that were everywhere. I know I have said this before but we feel incredibly loved when we have people come to see a glimpse of "our world". Then they are able to understand a deeper level of the calling God has given us, as well as see for themselves how unique this place is. We are different people than we were 13 years ago because of God giving us a heart to tell these specific people about the love Jesus has for them. We have been challenged and tested but have gained an even greater desire for the gospel to reach the farthest and hardest heart.  Rhine and Krista also have this same desire, but for people in a different nation. They recently have faced a big obstacle but continue to trust God to use them.

 On their second day we went to one of the schools of our wonderful friends and partners Amos and Grace. The kids acted out the story of Samson for the students and then colored a craft. Some students colored Samson having red hair- because Titus has red hair- I thought this was so precious. 

Once we were at Mombasa, my daughters received such a tremendous surprise. Nancy, Ellie and Cailin Germo showed up a few days later. My girls had absolutely no idea they were coming. The Germos were my supervisors when I, Bekah, was an intern in 2003-2004. Ellie was born during that time. Samara and I were carjaccked along with their family in 2012 (Samara was just 2 months old at the time). All this to say we have been through a lot -many many good occasions and this was just another one. Nancy is not only hilarious but also a true gift to me.

I could go on and on about godly women who ministered to me while we stayed in Mombasa. Laura- our teamate here in Kenya. I love her dearly. Originally she was one of our interns and had returned to work alongside us but God had different plans. I always look forward getting to see her. When we get time to talk we go past surface level conversations and sharpen one another. 

Theresa- the Member Care director. Her kindness and insight goes way beyond her job title. She was on the ground here in Kenya (for globeserve meetings) when Jason, Righteous and I first came to the field. Since then I have seen her several other times here in Kenya. I appreciate that she is a good listener. She also give wisdom so gently and generously.

Carol- a second mother to me. I look up to Carol and glean from her stories from when she was on the mission field in the Philippines. Carol was instrumental when Jason and I were dating, broke up, got back together, engaged and married. Jason and I see her and her husband Tim as mentors and role models. We last saw both of them here in Kenya in December and know that we will get to see them again and again. 

There is always more to say but I want to try to finish for now. After 2 weeks away we were very ready to return to Gtown. Immediately Jason had a Come Follow Me Bible study and I went back to homeschooling. We are trying to apply what we gained in these past weeks to the individuals that we have relationships with. On Friday we had a time of worship with the interns and sang "You are God of this City" by Chris Tomlin. Indeed as the words say,

You're the God of this City
You're King of these people 
You're the Lord of this nation 
You are

You're the light in this darkness 
You're hope to the hopeless
You're the peace to the restless
You are

There is no one like our God

There is no one like our God

Some of the younger ones.

Nevaeh, Righteous, and Tirzah. Thank you Kerri Olsen for this and the above pictures. 

Me holding baby Ellie and my internship partner Tammy. 



The small plane taking us to Mombasa and back.


The day the Germo's surprised us.
The Indian Ocean in all its glory. 
Tour around Fort Jesus. 
Original cannon at the Fort that that helped keep intruders away.
The road to Gtown. 
We always know we are almost home when we start seeing lots of camels. 

2 comments:

Renee Stocks said...

My soul is bathed in joy knowing you feel well-loved by the members of the Body God has connected you to. ❤

Jordan S said...

A great God and great friends!