Sunday, September 26, 2021

Legacy that is left behind

I kept my Mom's laptop after she passed and came across this selfie she took on it.

It has been 1 year since my Mom has left earth and gone to be with Jesus. She has passed down a legacy to me and to others. She introduced me to Jesus when I was a small child and exemplified what a life looked like walking daily with Him. I looked up how the Webster's Dictionary defines the word Legacy I got:

A) Something (such as property or money) that is received from someone who has died.

B) Something that happened in the past or that comes from someone in the past.

Although those words are helpful I looked up what a Biblical view of the word would be and got this:

C) Legacy focuses on what will last or endure the test of generations. It's about passing on things of lasting value to those who will live on after us.

These words came alive to me. I ask myself what kind of things actually have lasting value- that will continue to be significant decades and even centuries from now. A person's faith immediately comes to my mind. Not A person's religion but the core belief that drives them each day determining how they live and what they choose to do. My Mom had many flaws but when it came down to it Jesus was the center of her life. She passed this down to me and I can admit I make many mistakes but Jesus is the reason I "live, and move, and have my being."

My Mom found joy in walking. It gave her time to pray for people and connect with her Savior. At 10am today, New York time, my siblings, some of her siblings and loved ones will be taking walk to honor her. My family is getting ready to take a walk around our neighborhood here in Kenya during that same time which ends up being 5pm. I am hoping to pray for the different families behind the walls and gates as I pass them- that they would find the Way, the Truth, and the Life. 

This week we got the news that Nancy Germo's Father, Dick Grotber, had a brain annerism and was rushed to the hospital for an emergency surgery. Although the surgery was successful the doctors were unsure "when or if "he would ever wake up. I love how one of his children (he has 10) wanted to correct the doctors words from  "when to where" he would wake up. We know he will get his healing we just aren't sure if it will be here on earth or in heaven w Jesus.  Praise the Lord he did wake up and their family has been cherishing his sense of humor and his love for them in these last days with him. Our family was blown away blessed,  when we got to meet him at his farm last year when we were on Furlough. He is a Patriarch and lead his children to know the mighty deeds and wonders God has done which in turn has been passed down through the generations. He is a remarkable man. He and Linda have raised remarkable children who have greatly impacted our lives and the lives of our kids and countless others! That is a legacy!

This week we also have been praying without ceasing for our "Mother figure", Carol Freeman. I have written about her before that Jason and I met her in college and she was a mentor and role model for us. Her and her husband Tim were missionaries in the Philippines and have walked beside us since day 1 when we entered the field. We just saw both of them in June, (and Nancy and Dan too) for a retreat. Carol had gotten COVID induced pneumonia and was put on a ventilator and intubated. I am rejoicing that she has now been taken off and is continuing to recover each day.  When we were cleaning my Mom's house out, after she died, I came across a letter that Carol had typed up to my Mom and it is such a prized possession to me now. Carol comes from a line of missionaries. Her mother Ruth was the first Bethany missionary sent out where she met her husband Herb on the field. They raised their kids on the field and they became missionaries too! As a result of Carol's obedience to Jesus countless others have gone to the field through her influence, encouragement, and care. Jason and I included! We are  rejoicing in her recovery because we know Jesus is going to keep using her to build His kingdom!

Ultimately these are true legacies. True legacies build the Kingdom of God here on this earth without regard to their own recognition or accomplishments.  My Mom asked for the song Legacy to be played at her funeral. The lyrics are 

I want to leave a legacy . How will they remember me?

Did I choose to love? Did I point to you enough?

To make a mark on things. I want to leave an offering.

A child of mercy and grace. Who blessed your name unapologetically. 

And leave that kind of legacy. 

Not well traveled, not well read. Not well to do , or well bred.

I just want to hear instead, well done my good and faithful one..

As I reflect on the year anniversary of my Mom's celebration in heaven.  I am reminded of the legacy that she passed down to me. I can also see other legacies that the Lord has allowed us to be apart of through the Grotberg' s and the  Bilman/Freemans! Lord may we be faithful to continue these legacies by building your KINGDOM here on this earth!

Some more selfies my Mom took of herself. 

 

Carol, Nancy, Krista, and me- this past June, at Mombasa, Kenya.

Some of the humongous Grotberg family- they invited us to celebrate the 4th of July with them last year.

Carol`s letter to my Mom when I was in college. 

Jason and I with Tim and Carol last year in October,  1 week before we flew back to Kenya.

 

3 comments:

Kathy Russell said...

So glad I found this. Read it to Gil on our way to church this morning. Blessings!

Renee Stocks said...

Amen, Amen, Amen❣

Jordan S said...

Good challenge and reminder. To borrow from Randy Alcorn.... Let's live for the line (eternity) and not the dot (this life)! Many blessings be upon you that you in turn are a blessing to many!