![]() |
| One of my girls took this panoramic picture of when we celebrated Thanksgiving. Conversations are going on in the living room while food prep is getting done at the dining room table. |
With deeper digging I believe that it is easier to be thankful more often these days because Christmas Day is approaching- the day believers around the world celebrate the the Savior, the Redeemer, the Mediator, Jesus Christ was born. This is so significant "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow, because He lives, all fear is gone, because I know He holds the future, life is worth the living just because He lives ". He has given our family so much- "He gave His life- what more could He give, oh how He loves you, oh how He loves me, oh how He loves you and me." Although it is very difficult to be brief about all the many "gifts" God has granted me, I want to attempt to highlight some in this post.
I am thankful that God is love. There is so much hatred in the world today due to the current status and what each person chooses to value. When I am tempted to get caught up in the strong emotions of taking sides, I am thankful that God remains the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is love and asks that we love one another for if we don't then we can not claim to even know Him. (1 John 4:7-8)
I am thankful for the gift of Salvation- not something I have to earn or work to receive. This is available to All. Christianity it set apart from all other religions in this way. Here in Gtown we see Muslims diligently working hard to follow the 5 pillars of Islam which gives them a shot at paradise- still no guarantee. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift from God- not by works, so that no one can boast."
I am thankful for the Holy Spirit- given to guide and direct my steps and intercedes on my behalf when I don't have the words to pray. Romans 8:26-27. We often pray for salvation to come to our neighbors and the farm workers and for God to transform this town. There are hard days that can turn into hard months. Times where it seems a breakthrough is actually happening only to find out the ungodly traditions still exist (FGM, young girl brides, another wife taken even though not financially stable, addictions of drugs, witch doctor visits, etc.) When we are shocked and speechless God is not and His word tells us "the Spirit helps us in our weakness."
I am thankful for my husband, Jason Witt. We often think differently and have different personalities and yet we compliment each other so divinely . I look forward telling him all about my day, once the girls are in bed and love doing life with him. Ecclesiastes says it so well, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. Also if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?" 4:9-11 We are a team and a force to be reckoned with on behalf of God's Kingdom.
I am thankful for the 4 daughters God has entrusted to me. I grew up in America, while they are growing up as third culture kids. Over our Thanksgiving Laura was telling me about a book she is reading about the 3 categories that fall into being a 3rd culture kid, missionary kids, military children and children of Diplomats that travel to countries they are not citizens of. Laura told me these children often grow up to be well rounded individuals that can bridge the gaps in cross cultural settings. I am forever blessed that my girls have a simple life here in Kenya. They are not hidden from those who live in immense poverty, they have experienced insecurity and unrest at times, and rub shoulders with Islam and its ways on a daily basis. It's my prayer that they would not take life for granted and would make their faith their own. Psalm 127:3 says "Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from Him." Indeed Righteous, Nevaeh, Charis, and Samara are gifts from the Lord.
I am thankful for our family in the States and friends here in Kenya who have become family. Those both near and far have joined us in prayer, shared our joyous occasions as well as our unexpected losses. Both friends and family have walked with us through all the different seasons and have encouraged us to continue to lift our heads and hearts heavenward. "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. " Proverbs 27:17
Overall I am thankful to my God for all the good and perfect gifts that He gives ! There are too many for me to count. I only wanted to consider these few. After writing out the reflections posted here I am reminded of how blessed I am and how good Yaweh is! Happy Thanksgiving Fam!
![]() |
| The day after Thanksgiving we headed to the farm for some worship, games, and the farm workers danced a Somali dance for us. |
![]() |
| Here is an action shot of volleyball at the farm w the guys . |
![]() |
| This is from when we went to Nairobi for a week. Jason actually worked on a puzzle with us (he doesn't like puzzles at all). |
![]() |
| Tim Freeman took us out to eat at Brazilian BBQ. |
![]() |
| Carol and I. |
![]() |
| Big news!! We have added 3 new puppies to our family! |
![]() |
| The farm workers were surprised to see that Jason still has the moves. |










2 comments:
I absolutely love how you wove Scripture & song lyrics through your reflections, tying everything solidly to the Word. Such a joy to read all you shared. Thank you, Bekah!
L-O-V-E it! Thanks for sharing your gratitude and we are thankful for faithful partners like you guys! May God continue to bless you this holiday season!🦃🎄🙂🙏
Post a Comment