 |
Jason driving the Tractor and Jon rides behind.
|
Jason and I have lots of different threads in our "tapestry journey " that lead us to move to Kenya. I have previously mentioned how the Germo family have hugely impacted our lives. The Germo's were my (Bekah 's) internship supervisors when I came to serve under them, in Nairobi, for 9 months during my junior year of college. Jason's supervisors were a South Aftican couple named Jaco and Heleen. We had first met them when we were still single and came on a short term exposure trip, with a team of 8 people. This was only for 3 weeks and right after our freshman year. We traveled all around Kenya but I can still remember when we stepped foot in Gtown. I can look back and see it was during this trip when the Lord first gave our love for the unreached. The heat in Gtown was intense, without any escape from a fan, let alone AC. The environment was dusty and desert like. There were some people who were welcoming and some who were suspicious of us. While we were there, a Kenyan missionary drove our team into the bush and actually needed a four wheel drive vehicle. In the bush we got to greet villagers who lived in huts with no running water and electricity. When we were in town, we had the chance to go to the Life Ministry (Campus Crusade for Christ) office, which is where we got introduced to Jaco. Jaco was the Director of Life Ministry Gtown at the time, he told us about the 5 pillars of Islam, which I had heard about before, but listened with renewed interest because of how much influence it had in the people who lived in Gtown.
Fast forward to Jason's internship. Jaco became Jason's brother. Jaco brought Jason alongside him to work on Community Development projects in the surrounding villages. Jason got to watch firsthand what it looked like to be a foreigner in this land. He also got to witness how to juggle being a minister of the gospel- While also being a husband and Father. Jaco and Heleen's Firstborn daughter is named Annelise. Jason always jokes about how he taught Annelise English. When he first met her she mostly only spoke her mother tongue which is Afrikaans. Jason and I graduated from college, got married, and had Righteous in Virginia. Then we finally got to move to Gtown long term in 2008. Jaco and Heleen received us with open arms. I was grateful to have Heleen as an example of what it means to be faithful to God's calling. There were several months I was not sure I could make it, I was battling with contentment. Heleen modeled endurance through the tough times, even though incredible losses and anguish her relationship with God remained strong. The Lord eventually open the doors for their family to go serve Him "Up North". It was hard for us to say goodbye, Jason and I truly treasure both Jaco and Heleen.
A few months ago, Annelise reached out to me about coming back for a visit. My immediate response was Yes!! Annelise had spent the first 11 years of her life growing up in Gtown and wanted to see it now as an adult. I told her that my hope was that our daughters would follow in her footsteps one day when they become adults-that they would also choose to return to this place. I was fascinated to hear Annelise process. She was impressed by the overall road from Nairobi to Gtown. She was very surprised by what products the shops had to sell, such as Chia seeds, Sensosodyne toothpaste, and Tresame shampoo. When Annelise went to see the house she lived in as a kid, she remembered the compound being larger than it was and the hallway inside the house being longer than it was. Intern McKenna took Annelise to her former primary school where she bumped into a fellow classmate. What stood out to me was wherever I went with Annelise there were people who asked about her family and still missed them. Annelise has a heart and hunger for God and is very Missions minded. The Legacy her parents began, continues on in her. I am super excited to see where the Lord will lead her in the future.
2 comments:
This is so to incredibly wonderful to read . . . I think about Jaco & his family often, & it is wonderful to hear that Annalise is visiting!!
Very cool stories! God is faithful!😊🙏
Post a Comment