Sunday, September 4, 2022

Making Disiciples of Jesus

7 Supreme Court judges

Tomorrow, September 5th, the nation of Kenya waits to hear the verdict the Supreme Court will give in regards to the Presidential Election that took place last month. We praise God that there has been peace in Kenya and we pray that the peace will continue even after Tomorrow's announcement.


British influence 


There were 6 Farm workers that came to our house to study the Bible, this past Friday! These six are from 2 different unreached people groups in our area and they have grown up learning all about Islam in their village. Their grandparents, parents, Aunts, Uncles, cousins, are Muslims. Five out of the six are married and their wives are suspicious of them-"what exactly are they going off to do on Fridays?" One of the men is illiterate so he can only listen in on what the Bible has to say but can't read the words for himself. Each one of them faces tremendous amount of challenges in their normal lives. Some have made a profession of faith in Jesus but they feel it would be a risk to tell anyone outside this group. We know it takes courage for them come, and believe the power of the Bible is worth it.

They have been reading through the book of Mark which immediately begins with John preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin. Many of the farm workers have pre conceived ideas on what baptism actually is. Jason went to YouTube to show them a person baptized. In Mark 1:9 Jesus was baptized and then later on, before he ascends to heaven, Jesus gives the Great Commission which instructs us to go out into all the world and make disciples by baptizing them and teaching them to obey. As a follower of Jesus we get baptized to show our personal identification with Jesus. I understood this when I got baptized as a teenager and didn't think much of it. I already was devoted in my faith. When the farmworkers discussed this topic around the table, the mood turned into a deep worry and seriousness. As a westerners I never thought of the risk a former Muslim has to consider. If they were to ever make the decision to be baptized they would live in constant fear of someone finding out. If someone ever found out the ramifications most likely would be excommunication from their family and entire village. One of the farmworkers pointed out that if this happened and he died, no one would bury his body. This fact greatly distressed him and the others as they agreed that would be the case. Jason declared that if that ever happened, he would make sure there was a burial. We are foreigners here, and everyone does wonder when we will leave and go back to America for good. What if one of these farmworkers died when we were no longer here. Amos also made a pledge to them that he also would ensure a burial if any of them died. Such serious heavy talks truly show their thoughts on "counting the cost."


Table set with cups for chai and banana bread that will be eaten during the Bible study. 

I always like to make these signs- even if the girls think they are "too old" for them.

As I, Rebekah, think about the breakthrough of discipleship happening in our home-I shout out finally!! After so many years of longing for it to happen its finally happening! As the farm workers are learning about God in ways they never have before I also have more to learn. Each day I desire to be more like Mary that sits at the Lords feet and listens to what He has to say. I can easily fall into Martha's personality in being caught up in all that needs to be done for the next meal or what needs to be cleaned up. I just finished up the school year with our daughters and have been busy this weekend preparing for the new school year that we will begin tomorrow. I have gotten all the books organized into different shelves for each grade. I am shocked that two of the girls will be in high-school. As Jason pours himself out to proclaim the truth by discipling the farmworkers, I recognize I am not only teaching my daughters but I am also discipling them. I not only have to correct their papers and go over spelling words but also get to have discussions about our Biblical worldview. I am so proud of them when we leave our house because I watch them embrace the community wherever we go. I have high expectations that we will grow in our wisdom and knowledge in this upcoming school year and become more like Him through pruning and growing.

Righteous is always making bracelets to pass out to children. 

Nevaeh keeps lipstick in her purse for a quick makeover and photoshoot.

I attend a women's gathering once a month. Charis and Samara watch over the babies and provide a "program" for them (which includes snack time of course).

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for freedom to disciple & teach, for you & Jason & Amos.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome news! Amen

Jordan S said...

Exciting times in g-town! Continuing in prayer for continued blessings 🙏 May many come to know Him and the power of His resurrection!