Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Citizenship

We have gotten to visit some of our Muslim friends recently. They had me try on their beautiful clothes and then gave this outfit to me free of charge- although they sell them. I am always humbled by their generosity and want to reciprocate. I like to bake them desserts but feel like that isn't an equal trade. We have had many years of friendship. I want more than that. I want them to be known/and called my sisters in Christ.


Throughout these past few weeks the people of Gtown have been watching the current news very closely. We can see what "side" those who make up the majority of the town have taken. They are also the very reason we have come to reside in this place and not in another town. I have been following my Muslim friends WhatsApp statuses and they have an outcry that there is injustice. Jason took a tuk tuk (small motorized vehicle) home a few days ago and the driver had the news station on telling of the latest casualties of the conflict in Gaza. Our hearts break over the loss of so many lives. We have chosen to not take a political position and yet because we are Americans an opinion can be automatically assumed about us. We want to be sensitive to the community that we live with while looking for openings to speak about Him. We believe He is the great comforter and we can come to Him with all our questions and be confident He changes not in this fallen unpredictable world.

Philippines 3:20 says, "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ." Although I, Bekah, am very proud to have been born in America but ultimately the Bible points to a higher citizenship. Christ will return (even Muslims believe this to be true) and this does not cause me to throw my hands up in the air and make light the realities. Instead to acknowledge that the world in its present form form will pass away and to press in to share that the citizenship of heaven is offered to people in all nations. It doesn't matter what location you were born at or what religion your relatives are. There is such pressure to give an opinion of the "atrocities". We are praying that God would use this horrific crisis to draw people to Himself no matter what side they are standing on. Praying that we never forget Jesus came for the lost and the broken and the sinners. 

Here Nevaeh wears the outfit and poses with interns Sianna and Kendra.

I can genuinely call them my friends. 

 

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you so much for this enlightening post. I would never have made the connection that your daily life & work are being impacted by the current conflict in Gaza/ Israel. This spurs me on in my prayers for you. XO