Friday, August 23, 2024

Overview of the past month.

Our family is taking some time away at the Coast to celebrate Jason and my 19th Anniversary and Jason's 44th birthday (on August 24th). It's a good time to reflect back on the years. Jason and I don't feel like we could possibly be married for as long as we have, but if we consider all that has happened since we have been married it can seem like its been a full lifetime. Highlights include all 4 of our girl's births of course but also when we packed up and moved from America to Kenya a little over 16 years ago. Northeastern Kenya truly has become home for us and I wonder what we will encounter in the years to come. What I know is that we will follow Jesus and walk the narrow road He has for us. We want Him to increase in our actions and in our words and ourselves to decrease. If anyone sees anything good in us we want them to know it is actually Christ in us and He can transform anyone's lives.  I want to share some happenings this past month but just in case there is any admiration- I ask that it be given to the Lord. All praise and glory goes to Him. 

"Oh! Christ be magnified
Let His praise arise
Christ be magnified in me
Oh! Christ be magnified
From the altar of my life
Christ be magnified in me

I won't bow to idols, I'll stand strong and worship You
And if it puts me in the fire, I'll rejoice 'cause You're there too
I won't be formed by feelings,  I hold fast to what is true
If the cross brings transformation then I'll be crucifiedwith You
'Cause death is just a doorway into resurrection life
And if I join You in Your suffering, then I'll join You when You rise
And when You return in glory with all the angels and the saints
My heart will still be singing, my song will be the same

Oh! Christ be Magnified
Let His praise arise
Christ be magnified in me
Oh! Christ be magnified
From the altar of my life
Christ be magnified in me"
Song by Cody Carnes
Here lies the soon to be playground. It arrived in all its pieces like this.

 Radical Church from Kyle, Texas donated money to purchase a playground for the farm. It arrived in a pile of pieces that just seemed like a big mess to me. In a matter of days it was assembled and I was impressed to see how large it was. This past Saturday we had opening day and most of the farmworkers children came. Their faces were priceless. There were 3 little ones who went down the small slide and would come give high fives then go up the steps to go down once again. They continued doing this for the entire time. The "bigger kids" threw their shoes down the big slide to test it out. After seeing it was safe they started going down themselves. At the end of the day they caught a ride on the Tractor trailer and waved goodbye. God is so good.
Ravens house.
Here are the two most recently completed houses- the Ravens and the Titans. One thing I love about this culture is having a "thanksgiving" as a bench marker or way to "put a stake in the ground ". People will take the time to stop and acknowledge what the Lord has done. This is shown by "breaking bread" or having a meal together. Jason always tries to have a goat slaughtered for every house that's built and make nyama choma (grilled meat) along with pilau. When the girls and I  are able to we like to join in on this special occasion. Jason "spiced things up" this past month by ordering fried chicken to be delivered to the farm one day and pizza on a different day. Everyone's morale boosted even more than it normally does and it was fun to witness everyone's joy.

The Titans house.

Samara and Charis chopping up carrots that will go into the pilau.

Onions, Cilantro, and tomatoes that also will go into the pilau.

There always seems to be something that needs to be fixed at the farm or at our house. Jason had to rebuild the water pump stand because the wood was rotting away. We are so thankful to have access to most tools that are needed to fix most things. This is Another way God is so good by providing tools and machines through out the years.
Me and the Witt girls (and occasionally with Marissa and Ashley) have gotten to spend more time hanging out in the village this past month. It is a great way to interact with the children and build relationships with them. Sometimes we bring games or coloring books and crayons. One day we brought a bunch of temporary tattoos and it didn't take long until every kids arm was completely covered. Other days we simply spend the time singing songs or doing hand clapping games. Each time we see these children our hearts grow to love them even more.
Jason is not afraid of heights or hard work.


Samara playing with banana grams. We made up our own game of spelling both the Swahili word and English word at the same time. 
Charis is doing a hand clapping game with one of the farmworkers' daughters.

Nevaeh enthusiastically uses her Swahili to chat away with this girl who is the same age as her (16) and already a Mom.


3 comments:

Renee Stocks said...

I have especially been praying for encouragement & refreshment for Jason & am so glad to read you've been able to have a time away on the coast. ❤️

Anonymous said...

I pray for rest in the Lord and restoration of souls. May your spirits be renewed and our Lord presence and blessing establish strength and joy! He is good and His mercy endures forever!

Anonymous said...

This is Philip. Daddy K