![]() |
| Women gathered around to read "Liberty to the Captives." |
On the first Saturday of every month all the missionaries ( Kingdom workers) in this area come together to pray, worship and have a speaker give a message of encouragement. It is often the only time I get to see these individuals because they all are busy doing the Lord's work and some live in villages far away. At this month's meeting we all had a heavy burden to spend time praying and crying out for redemption to come to the unreached who live here. We asked God to reveal Himself to entire families and bring transformation to the cities, towns, and nations to align hearts with His. We prayed for governors and officials to be seeking God's will as they make decisions and that leaders who are not Christians would bow their knees to King Jesus. Our speaker had us take time to reflect on the years since we came to the mission field. We were to write down challenges and frustrations that we have had. Once we finished we spent time forgiving people who have hurt us throughout the years. Some people on my list were other believers. Most likely I have been offended by them because of miscommunication. The speaker asked us to evaluate if we may have blamed God at different times because He seemed not to be answering or not fixing our problems. We needed to forgive everyone so that we will not be hindered from God forgiving us. Next we had to write down any accomplishments we have seen since being on the ground. After doing this we were to apologize to God for all the times we received the glory instead of giving Him the credit thats due to Him. At the end of this exercise I felt so light and relieved from things I was unknowing holding onto. I am very blessed by this group of people.
Another group that gathers together every month is women who desire to learn more about our Muslim neighbors. We are currently reading through a book called Liberty to the Captives. This book has open my eyes to strongholds in the Islamic faith and how to have discernment in the relationships that I have. In our last meeting we looked at a sura (chapter) in the Quran called al- Fatihah (the Opening). It is usually recited and repeated with the 5 times of daily prayers. Here is what it says translated into English.
In the name of Allah, the merciful, the compassionate.
Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the world's,
the merciful, the compassionate,
the master of the day of judgment.
It is you whom we ask for help.
Guide us to the straight path,
the path of those whom you have blessed,
not of those whom your anger falls,
nor those who go astray. Q1:1-7
We learned that "Muhammad clarified the meaning" that Jews are those who have earned anger and Christians are those who are lead astray. It was fascinating to me that people actually have this mindset. I also have taken into consideration that there are so many people in this area who are illiterate and unable to understand the Islamic prayers that they were taught to memorize when they were children. What I do notice is the God of the Bible is not the same God portrayed in the Quran. Romans 5:8 puts so much into prospective "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." We see God's unconditional love by the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus. We also know we cannot earn our salvation by being good enough, that work was done on the cross. Lastly Christ died for all, "For God so loved the world". As I learn how my faith is viewed by Muslims it gives me so much compassion on them because they really are blinded from the truth. I am moved to pray for them to seek out truth and bless their lives and families. In our group of women we hold each other accountable to not be ashamed of telling the good news in our spheres of influence. I am not alone in my calling and thankful for relatable women I can turn to and glean from.
In my free time I have been re- reading a book called the Crescent through the eyes of the cross. I was challenged by two different sets of thought patterns one could have when hearing the first call to prayer so early in the morning. The author wrote this,
First chain of thoughts:
1. This is the man who woke me up at five in the morning.
2. Do they have to use microphones? Whoever wants to rise up and pray at five can use his or her alarm clock.
3. Muslims are tightening the grip on Christianity, and they want to torment us and subdue us.
4. We need to demand our rights, but I do not know what we can do since they rule the land.
5. I hate them.
6. Lord, help me to love them.
7. Lord, help me to share the good news of the gospel with a Muslim in the coming week.
Second option for a chain of thoughts:
1. After hearing the call of the minaret, the thought that comes to mind is, This is the man who woke me up at five in the morning.
2. Thank you, Lord, that in your wisdom and grace You planned for me to live in (Gtown), which is a Muslim majority.
3. I wonder, Lord, about this man who is chanting the call to prayer. Is there someone in his family who is sick, or is his family struggling with any issues?
4. Lord, somehow help this man and his family to realize how much You love them.
5. Lord, help me to see Muslims through Your eyes.
6. Lord, help me to love them.
7. Lord, help me to share the good news of the gospel with a Muslim in the coming week.
Oh how I desire to choose the second thought patterns, and want to be on guard how I can easily slip into a "justified" negativity.
![]() |
| Two books that are very resourceful- I highly recommend! |
A blog within the blog.
I often ask our daughters to read this blog and to critique what I have written. Righteous tells me that she can't always follow my train of thought and that I write about things that have no relation. I definitely can understand this viewpoint and I am purposely including this next portion to specifically brag on her.
Righteous and the interns have completed two weeks of Swahili class so far. It's been such a joy to have Righteous included in this opportunity. She realizes that she knows a whole bunch of vocabulary but needs help using those words in proper sentences. It definitely was an adjustment for our family to not have Righteous with us the entire day but we looked forward to hearing all her stories once she came home. I am so thankful for Joyce Mugo and her gift of teaching. I have enjoyed going to see Joyce at the end of class each day as the interns and Righteous got paired up with language helpers and went to practice speaking Swahili in town. Praying that God would help them retain all that they have learned and continue to learn even more. Now to end this blog I want let you all know Righteous and I have started a podcast on YouTube so feel free to check that out. It's called Momma Mia and her Mini Me.
![]() |
| First day of Swahili class. |
![]() |
| Jason and I talking to Joyce after class one day. |
![]() |
| The fabulous interns, Righteous and Mwalimu (teacher) Joyce. |
![]() |
| Lucy has been a friend of ours for many years. She was Righteous language helper for a whole week. |
![]() |
| Mrs. Mbau has also been a friend of ours for many years. She walked around town with Righteous as her language helper for the first week. |







2 comments:
It is so encouraging to realize that you are able to meet with other women in these ways! I love your blogs & they never feel disjointed or difficult to follow to me. 😉
As always I am so blessed by you taking interest in what God has established in this place and all the ways He provides (in case the fellowship opportunities). Thank you for your encouragement about my writing style- it's truly therapeutic for me to process by typing out a post. I love you Renee!
Post a Comment