Wednesday, November 13, 2024

The Masquerade

Our dining room table- with a painting of the farm in the background. There is chai and cake available for anyone that comes read the Bible.


I wrote about the Tribal conflict/killings in the last post. The day to day life has resumed back to normal within the village although no arrests have been made. Yesterday the oldest son of one man who was murdered came to the farm requesting help to pay the school fees of his two younger brothers who were in High School. Their Father had previously been paying, but with his death this left a challenge. We are looking into adding them onto the scholarship program where they would work at the farm in the morning hours, during the holiday months and receive tutoring (organized by Ashley and Paul Kary) in the afternoons. Please pray that they will be embraced by the other high-schoolers in the program and cared for. Bible study on Friday mornings have started back up at our house and 2 of the young believers (from the "warring tribes") have been able to push their differences aside to study God's word- they are currently going through the book of Acts.

My honey setting up the balloon arch.

Beloved friends from Denmark, who live in Nairobi, recently invited our daughters (along with other teenagers) to a masquerade at their home. Our girls often feel like they are missing out on homecoming games and Proms but are finding out the Lord provides beautiful experiences for them right here in Kenya. Our girls were able to get dresses carried over, through Tiffany Butler, all the way from Virginia. One of their friends put on fake nails for them matching the colors on their nails to their dresses. I did their hair and they got their makeup done- they truly looked like princesses.

Once people arrived for the masquerade there were ice breaker games so everyone got a chance to know eachother. Then there was a break to eat an assortment of finger foods. Last but not least the group was taught and successfully learned 2 different ballroom style dances.
Days leading up to the masquerade Charis asked me if I thought any boy would ask her to dance. My immediate response was of course- in fact I was willing to make a bet with her: if a boy asked her to dance she would owe me a Boba tea and if one didn't I would owe her one. I'm happy (and not surprised) to report that Charis bought me a Lotus Biscof Boba tea this afternoon.

I shamelessly am always wanting to take pictures and videos of everyday life- Joyce Mugo has given me the nickname "paparazzi ". I did my best to give our daughters some space at this masquerade but did take these pictures because if I didn't- there would be none captured at all because these teenagers were actively dancing throughout the evening and not on their phones. Most of the time I had good conversations with two other Mom's in the kitchen. We had a little time to discuss how all TCKs (Third Culture Kids) have a way to relate with one another even though they are from different countries. We were thrilled for them to have this masquerade and already talking about if it's possible to have another in December. 
Nevaeh is planning on making a video of the masquerade- so be checking their YouTube channel!

Mingling upon arrival. 

involved in an icebreaker game.

If you look closely you will see blocks of ice with flowers frozen inside. 

Assortment of finger foods.

More finger foods. 

How it looked at nightfall.

That's Samara dancing!

It's hard to see but Nevaeh an Charis are dancing in this picture. 

Righteous won the votes/title Prom Queen.

Charis won best hair.

Samara won best mask- which she made herself. 


1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you so much for the tribal conflict update. I will pray especially for the family left fatherless & for their provision. It is so heartwarming to read that you are able to partner with others to create such special occasions for your teens!