![]() |
| These 2 fish fed the group for dinner the first night. |
the seas have lifted up their voice;
the seas have lifted up pounding waves.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea-
the LORD on high is mighty.
Psalm 93:3-4
"The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;
for He founded it on the seas and established it on the waters."
Psalm 24:1-2
"The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of His hands."
Psalm 19:1
![]() |
| Charis shared the room with this highschool student. |
We give God all the praise for allowing all the details of the Coast trip to fall into place. I had asked a few people to pray specifically for protection (that no one would come even close to drowning) and that no one would try to sneak out in the middle of the night getting into trouble. God answered these prayers and there were no complications.
There are lots of scriptures throughout the entire Bible that talk about how God seperated the sky from the waters, indeed displaying the works of His hands. Where we stay in Gtown we are thankful for the Tana River to supply water to the crops on the farm and even to our home. The River is nothing in comparison to the Ocean. For most of the farm workers ( a lot of them being in their 40s and 50s) they have never gotten to travel far from where they live much less ever see the Ocean. This truly might be a once in a lifetime trip for some. I know I feel a closer and have more admiration for God, the Creator of the Universe, when I watch the waves rolling onto the shore under the vast sky with all its colors and splendor. I dare to wonder if that is how most people also feel when they come to the Ocean. When you stare out into the vastness of the horizon, which seems to have no end, it seems it is impossible to deny the existence of God.
![]() |
| A student ( her Dad was also with us because he works on the farm), Annika an intern, and Nevaeh. |
We rented three different places to make sure the genders were not together. All the men and highschool boys were at one place. Female interns, Witt girls, and highschool girls were at there own location and then Mamas, Jason and I, Abbigail and the Kary's were at the house where all the meals were eaten. I was able to give general instructions on where the switches were for lights and the fan. The people liked to sleep with the lights on and fan off- thats what they do in the village. ( They usually have a solar lightbulb that they pay a few shillings each day to allow it to work). I explained how a western toilet is used and also how to use a bidet which I told them might be really nice for them as muslims. I showed how to turn the shower on and off and that one nozzle is for hot water and one is for cold. All these things I take for granted and it was intriguing to see the women process everything and talk amongst themselves in discussion about it all.
![]() |
| We are all watching Abbigail swim. |
Abbigail gave a tutorial on swimming techniques and everyone wanted her show how to float over and over again. Eventually we had several opportunies to swim together in the pool and Ocean. No matter how hard we tried to help everyone float they were not successful and I realized that I am so blessed learning how to swim as a child and the swimming lessons I was forced to take.
On the very first day, after we ate coconut beans and rice we walked down to the beach as a group of nearly 60. First there was utter amazement. Then picture taking began. I admit I am super Gen X in that I use my pointer fingers typing and I only know the basic useful things to do on my phone. I watched these villagers make "musical videos" of themselves in front of the Ocean, adding arabic music and adding filters, it was very impressive.
The Women only put their feet in on the first day and later on they asked Jason if they could come to swim without the men so that the men would not go back to the village reporting all sorts of negative stories about them/their bodies. The following day this was able to happen and it was precious to see how they warmed up to getting in. At first they kept saying they were afraid and wanted someone to walk with them into the Ocean. In a short time they were running in and out and even allowing the waves to bring them in. I dont have any pictures or videos of this but I will never forget their first impressions.
![]() |
| Two of the ladies stepping in for their first time. |
![]() |
| I have known this Mama throughout many years. She is a widow and a super hard worker. I'm overjoyed that she got to enjoy and have some days to rest and be refreshed here. |
![]() |
| Teenage girls working on a puzzle. |
![]() |
| Some ladies joined in using watercolor paints. |
![]() |
| One of the ladies brought her baby which was such a delight for us. |
![]() |
| Jason is really good with babies, which I think might surprise people. There are times babies feel more comfortable with him than me. |
![]() |
| These two are brothers, and both work at the farm. |
We were able to go out on boats to a sandbar and go snorkeling over the corral reef with everyone. The path to walk out to the boats was long and rocky/sharp. Jason carried the baby so the Mama could concentrate on her footing and get to the boat safely. When the boats took off it was a little frightening when it got rocked by the waves but people got used to it. There were a few races on the sandbar in the middle of the Ocean and a game of tag. Everyone seemed so happy and free and reminded me of innocent little kids. Most of the adults did not get out of the boat to swim over the corral because they were nervous and we had a limited time due to the tide schedule. If they ever were to get this opportunity again I have no doubt some would gather the courage to at least try.
All in all the logistics of everything was a huge success. We were surprised that people didn't eat more at mealtime until it dawned on us they probably don't eat 3 meals a day. We had spaghetti and meatsauce one day for lunch (which we ate with our right hand) and this was included on the list as another first for many. We truly love these people and long for them to know how Jesus loves them way more than us. What a testimony to be able to say, especially with all that is happening in the Middle East, that Christians and Muslims were able to have a wonderful shared experiance together. God is so good to us. We give Him all the glory for the great things He has done, and is doing, and will do.
![]() |
| Mamas and teenagers. |
![]() |
| Swimming along the corral reef. |
![]() |
| Amos and Grace daughter, Bekky, holding a starfish. |















2 comments:
Amazing! Simply amazing! We take so much for granted! Thank you so much for all you took the time to share. What a wonderful way to bless, encourage, & deepen relationship!
Yes, truly amazing! God is Good!
Post a Comment