Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Friends and daily life in Nairobi


This past week we really enjoyed being able to host our great friends the Lourens family. Jaco Lourens was Jason's supervisor when he was on internship and many people say they can pass as brothers. Once we move, after baby Nevaeh is born, we will be working alongside Jaco and Campus Crusade organization that is there. The Lourens family had to come to Nairobi to go to court because they are adopting a Somali boy named Musa who is the same age as Righteous. They also just found out the Heleen, Jaco's wife, is pregnant so we all went together to our prenatal appoinments at the Kijabe Hospital. I have decided to have the baby at this Kijabe Hospital instead of going to Nairobi Hospital because we will save over $2,500.

Jason and I have started Swahili lessons 2 weeks ago. While we are here in Nairobi for about one more month learning the language is our main focus at this time. In many ways I am eager to skip this part and go straight into ministry because I am so anxious and that is why we are here to serve Kenya. I realize that this is not possible for two major reasons. First how am I suppose to minister when I cannot even communicate with people. It is important to take the time to just learn so that we can be way more effective and profitable in the future. Secondly I am not able to go to our new home yet to minister until after the baby comes because of the dangers of getting malaria in my third trimester. I am just reminded God's ways are so much higher than our own and He truly sees the big picture.
I have made a special friendship with the housegirl, Mercy. She has been so wonderful to us arriving here cooking for us everyday, cleaning up around the house, and even taking Righteous to the Duka when she goes to buy fresh vegetables. Mercy is teaching me to cook some Kenyan meals including Hugali with Sukumawiki which translated into english is "pushes you through the week" I am going to try to put pictures up of Mercy cutting up the sukumawiki but our internet has been so slow and even we hadn't even had it for over a week so it may take a few days to post pictures.

2 fun things I wanted to share about why Kenya is the greatest country (I am sure there will be more I can write about in the future but 2 for now) you can buy 18 roses for under $3 and there is a store close by that delivers icecream. Last night Jason and I called up to order a bowl of icecream ans sure enought they arrived 20 minutes later right to our door. We were wondering if it would be melted by the time it came but it wasn't at all- amazing, how do they do it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can bruit about that I agree with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is even now a without question as you did in the fall delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=sothink dhtml menu 8.5 ?
I noticed the axiom you procure not used. Or you profit by the black methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg