Sunday, July 20, 2008

What do Muslims believe?




Lately it has been really been laid in my heart to know what do Muslims believe? When we move to our home it is 99.5% muslim and these are the people I have been praying for and am primarily here to serve. Also beside learning Swahili there is no major thing that I have scheduled to do so I have started to read about what the Koran is about and also who Muhammed is. It is so interesting to me that he married 12 wives and one of those wives was his daughter in law and the Sura, which are the different divisions in the Koran similar to the Bible's chapters, limits the wives to four and prohibits marriage to one's daughter-in-law. Also "To Muslims God has no likeness (Sura 42:11), is transcendant (Sura 4:171), is unknowledgeable (apart from revelation), and is wholly other and totally different. He is neither physical nor spirit. The Bible, contradicting the Koran, tells us that we have been created in God's image and likeness (Genesis 1:26-27) and that we have knowledge of God in our hearts (Romans 1: 19-20). Moreover scripture tells us that God is spirit (John 4:24)"

I still have a lot to read and learn about but I am really enjoying seeing the differences from studying. For these next few days we are hosting the Bethany intern girls. They needed a little break from the muslim culture because it can feel very oppressive at times because you do have to surrender your rights and equality as a female in that context. All four of them cover there heads because the muslims believe that hair is the woman's greatest beauty and should be saved only for her husband and the muslims have even pointed out that the Bible talks about women covering their heads as well. I had never even considered this so I am so glad these students are here to discuss this with me. Now I want to pray about if I am to cover my head when I am there. Of course I would never want to because of how hot it is but I will wait on the Lord to hear what He says. Also it is good to hear that the girls feel so much freedom being able to take these few days to restore themselves before going back to ministry. I realize I most likely will encounter the same feelings as them and just need to take a break and go to Nairobi to eat some pizza and put on pants for a few days and these small things can help me not get burnt out.
As for my pregnancy I am doing well and a centimeter and a half dialated. I have gotten some advice from the midwife Jenny Freeman as to help get some contractions started and one was to do brisk walking. This picture is of the hill you have to walk/climb up to get out of the compound we are staying at. I sometimes think I will go into labor as I chase Righteous up it and even though she is way smaller than me she always beats me. Things are looking good for having the new baby on August 6 and the Lourens family said they would keep Righteous for us that whole day, bring her to visit us in the hospital and continue to watch her until we are out of the hospital. What a blessing!!

4 comments:

Jennifer Hall said...

you got advice from "the midwife Jenny Freeman?" Haha. You are too funny. Rachel Todd emailed me her labor/birth story and I loved it. Did she send it to you also? I think you would like it too. Just so you know - i am super prepared to deliver a baby on my plane ride home in case I am needed at all! :) Gloves, gauze etc etc...

Question: Should I make a new blog for the year of mentoring or will that be confusing? What do you think?

Hannah Rue said...

You look fabulous and i miss you so :( We're praying for you as you prepare for Baby #2!! Love you!!

extraspecialbitter said...

Hi Bekah! Have you been in touch with Josiah at all? I've been printing out some of your photos and sending them to him. That picture of you and Righteous standing in the driveway is too cute!

Bekah said...

I love you and your heart. I could use some Bekah Mena Witt in my life these days... I'll just have to visit with you online. Bless you my sweet friend and I can't wait to come visit your new addition when they arrive!