Here in Kenya every home is fully equipped with a gate in which a security guard opens for you when you enter or leave. On the top of every gate there is either barbed wire or broken glass. On every window of homes is iron bars usually in different designs to make it look pretty. To get into the house we are staying at now there are two different door to unlock. On the door on the inside there is a dead bolt on the top and bottom. We have three floors and on each floor there is a iron gate inside to lock every night. At first all these security measures can almost make you feel as if you are locked up in jail just being inside the home but after awhile it becomes so normal. I think I actually would NOT feel safe if we didn't do all these things everyday. This is just the way of life here in Kenya. I once heard that 1/3 of Kenya are paid security guards to protect another 1/3 from the last 1/3. It is a great way to provide jobs besides the protection aspect. Here where we stay we also have two German Shepherds that stay outside to bark and scare away any intruders that may try to hop the tall barb wired fence. Righteous loves them and they love her. She knows how to push open the door to get into the pen with them. Once inside whatever they are doing she also does. I have caught her chewing on sticks and lying down in the dirt but on this particular occasion she is eating there food and playing in their drinking water right in between. They have never tried to snap at her even when she grabs something from there mouth or pulls on their hair. I give German Shepherds a two thumbs up for kid friendly dogs.
Here in Kenya the people claim Barack Obama as their own and talk about him as if he is a close friend. In the newspaper everyday there is almost always an article about him. On the day after the fourth of July his grandmother, who lives here, made the front page and got to talk all about him and how he will be the next president in America. When we are driving the hawkers always try to sell us magazines where he is on the cover. When we were grocery shopping we got to hear the Barack Obama reggae song in which Jason recorded it to be his phone ringer and I had to laugh every time I heard it. I am sad to report that phone got stolen right from his pocket without him knowing which perhaps is a blessing bc if he had caught the man I don't think Jason would have physically been able to restrain himself. The lesson is learned to be more conscience about personal belongings so that will not happen again.
No comments:
Post a Comment