Hi family, friends, and blogstalkers I would like to tell you guys about one of my best friends here in Kenya named Kenneth. You see I first met Kenneth in 2001 when I came to Kenya for a 3 week short term trip. He was actually working for the Germo's the missionaries hosting us at the time which now we refer to as family. He was their nightguard if you don't understand nightguard see the gates, guards, dogs blog below. Anyway I first met him then and I became closer with him when I returned for my internship in 2003-2004. That time when we arrived he was still working for the Germos but then as their gardner. So this time when I arrived Kenneth is now Dan's personal assistant at FTT(Finish the task School of Missions). SO you look at this situation and see wow Kenneth has really worked his way up the ladder or so it would seem. Stay with me I promise there is a method to my madness a point to all of this. Actually in terms of salary he has taken quite the demotion. FTT doesn't have sufficient funds right now to pay all the staff so Kenneth is a volunteer completley. So he gets paid when they can but he is sure the traing he is getting and the lives of people that are being changed are priceless. Kenneth is married and has two children. He lives in Kibera for those of you who don't know Africa Kibera is the largest slum in all of East Africa, and the secong largest in the world. Kenneth makes due with his family and lives off of what we as westerners would consider to be impossible. Kenneth is a different kind of African a different kind of man in general I asked him the other day " Kenneth what do you wanna do with the rest of your life?" the common response from most Africans would have something to do with good jobs and money and most westerners too would answer that way as well. But Kenneth looks at me and says I wanna work in missions not to be great or known but to make him known. WOW that was awesome a guy who has what the world would consider nothing wants to take EVERYTHING to the ones who really have NOTHING. This guy is an inspiration, I will leave you guys with this just one more story I know you're thinking is this a blog or a book but this one is good. We were moving aroung Nairobi running errands and we were approached by a woman begging and I told her "Pole Mama Sinapesa kwa wewe" Sorry I don't have any money for you and Kenneth told me as we continued on " You know Jason even me I don't have but I don't go begging I trust my God" Wow a guy who has nothing past a highschool diploma just taught me more than some people with BA's MD's PHD's etc could ever do. God is Amazing and He shows us all the time.
1 comment:
good to here from you guys, hope all is well, I expect the baby should be coming anyday now.
We are having bible school right now and the turnout has been goood 275-285 a night!!
Keep strong...
Will send some prayers up for ya'll
sam bass
Post a Comment