Saturday, November 1, 2008

Medical Clinic in the Bush


We went to the village Anole to provide a medical clinic for them. All of the eight students from our college helped out by writing down the symptoms for each patient, taking vital signs, testing urine samples, and then distributing medicine from the prescriptions the doctor writes down. Our doctor is a lovely lady, and good friend from South Africa. Her name is Lesley and she has been living with us. It is so comforting knowing that a doctor is just a room away. We only have 2 more weeks with Leslie, which is so sad to think about. My sister asked me the other day what my role is because I have the two kids with me. I set up toys and snacks in the same room as the doctor so I get to hear the sicknesses the patient has. Often times I am walking back and forth holding Nevaeh so I do a lot of praying. Then also I provide entertainment with Righteous. I admire Righteous because she approaches anyone and will show them love. She was constantly giving the village children hugs and even tried to pick up this one baby. The women get such a kick out of her.



Over 200 people came to get checked up this day. I found that most of the children had coughs due to the harsh conditions they live in and the drastic change of climate. It has been really hot during the day and then at night these children are sleeping on the ground in huts so they can catch colds. There were two old ladies who came and explained their back aches and the can’t see to well so of course the diagnosis is that’s just your age! One of these old ladies wanted me to take her picture with Righteous. There was one woman who came with her 18-day-old baby. She was from the Warde tribe so they carry a big knife when they have a baby up until the baby is 40 days old. Dr. Leslie was saying she was feeling a bit intimidated by the big knife before we found out the reasoning.

Another strange thing is the amount of charm neclaces that everyone wears. I have been told they receive them from the witch doctor and the charms contain a piece of the Quoran inside. Even little babies will have them around their neck or around their wrists.
It was a long day being seeing people for 10 hours straight but a successful one. Even though I am a mom I am grateful that I can still be apart of helping others and my children can come and be apart of that also. I cannot go every time because when I do go Righteous misses out on her naps. One day of this is fine but when she misses out on sleeping two days in a row what a moody kid! When I get to bring my family to the village there is such satisfaction that this is what we were made to do and I am just blessed to be here.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Yay I was mentioned in the Witt Family Blog. By the way, I asked what your role is in general not what your role is because you are a mom. I don't want to sound as if I think you are an invalid. Navaeh looks so mature now, no longer a newborn and Righteous is a little girl, no longer a baby. Love you all!

extraspecialbitter said...

I haven't had a nap in years. Does that make me a moody old man? :^)

Bonnie said...

Your role in the medical clinic seems very vital to me! You are a "mom" for a reason. Your prayers for the patients and the way you and Righteous interact with them probably takes some anxiety away! Thanks for the email! I love you all so much!