Friday, January 30, 2009

The New Covenant????




Our 8 new bethany college students have officially been here for a whole week. We are so grateful to have them here with us. Almost all of them brought us diapers and wipes from America which is such a huge blessing. We can buy diapers here but they are expensive and made out of plastic material which is not breathable (or enviroment friendly) so my kids often develop heat rash on their behinds from all the moisture remaining on their skin. The biggest thanks must go to Laura Stocks family who managed to get a chain saw to Jason. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on all the projects we can be involved with, now that Jason has a chainsaw. (He is very excited about this and everyone who comes to visit definetly will be shown the chainsaw to ooo and ahh over it)
I must say I am amazed and so proud of these students for adjusting to this new enviroment/culture. Most are making a 100 degree difference in outside temperature since they are coming from the winter. They all have particpated in 2 Amazing Race challenges. One took place all over Nairobi so that they immediately could get the feel of the crazy matatus. I must make mention they were here when Obama offically took office and got to see all the Obama tshirts. My favorite tshirt is the one with him and Martin Luther King facing each other. The second Amazing Race took place here in Garissa town where all the stops could be a weekly place they would go to. We had all of them try goat stomach at a local restaurant before they could get the next clue. I tried stomach and think it is nasty while Jason some how enjoys the taste. The night after the race we had a barbeque with all 16 students. We slaughtered our two goats the day before in order to celebrate this occasion. I was surprised Righteous was fine with her pet goat getting his head chopped off. At first she was far away from it and had a weird expression on her face but then got closer and closer while they were removing the skin. Often I look at her and the things that she experiences and can see that the Lord totally has prepared her to grow up here.




Yesterday we had all the students over for Laura’s birthday. Everyone played ultimate frisbee and then just hung out. I heard a few of the girls say how freeing it was to come to our house and wear shorts instead of skirts to be able to play. I know that they will get used to wearing skirts all the time but will always have a sense of freedom when you can wear other things. Oh I am adding some pictures of the camel leg we cut up in order to feed the 80 orphan children for christmas. I was grossed out by the massive amount of raw meat but the guys were having a good time together. I guess it was a bonding experience




























































2 comments:

Carole said...

I love keeping up with your blog, thanks for taking the time to write! I know you enjoy having the bethany students there with you. I also know its hard to "stay at home" while it seems everyone else gets to have all the fun. Your job to raise your kids to know and love Jesus is just as important as reaching the Kenyans. I'll pray for you to be encouraged and creative in your job as a wife and mom missionary. I love you guys!! Enjoy all that goat meat!

Carole said...

that comment is from Carole, I'm not sure why my blog name changed to . but I'll fix it now.