Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What do we do?







There is many things we do that we don't plan at all. Often just living where we live someone is in need- such as when Jason got called late at night bc of our mechanic's wife going into labor and they needed him to drive her to the hospital. They were so greatful to him they said they named their new son after him, JOHNSON! (for some reason it is very difficult for Kenyans to pronounce Jason's name so they usually call him Johnson or Jackson) We do have one responsibilities that I always forget to mention. Jason and I are supervisors of Bethany Interns which is our college program that we went on in 2004. Our internship was what drew us to this specific town because it had such a huge impact on our lives and hearts where we knew we would one day come back and make it our home. Last year we had 8 Bethany students come. 4 Boys and 4 Girls. It has been wonderful to mentor them and see them grow to people that I am afraid to say it- their parents will no longer recognize them when they return to America this coming April. These 8 have the most opposite personalitites that I have ever seen. Let me just give an example of the 4 guys. Eric was enrolled in a university and majoring in engineering where he was planning on building robots for the rest of his life when God called him to be a missionary. Jamie was in culinary school planning on being a chef, Brice lives in the city of Minnesota where Little house on the Prairie takes place and was a farm boy his whole life. And last but not least Billy was born in Micronesia- an islandboy. Living here, I miss my family so much and especially miss them not getting to be apart of my daughters lives. These bethany students could never take the place of Aunts and Uncles for Righteous and Nevaeh but I am blessed to have them as substitiutes. Two days ago 8 more Bethany students arrived in Kenya to live with us in Garissa for the next 16 months. We are now having orientation, making them go on thr AMazing Race, and doing some touriste stuff but they will officialy start Swahili lessons in 1 week. The pictures I have posted are of the original team but I will post some of the new team soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son Heath is one ofthe new students. We miss him very much and we would like to visit him there in the fall. Thanks so much for what you are doing. We will pray for all of you

Anonymous said...

sweet! I'm glad you guys are doing so well, we miss you and love you

-phil and cricket