Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fear and Helplessness


Its not something I am very familiar with, now I am not saying that to sound tough and manly. Its just a feeling I am not very well acquainted with. I am usually not afraid of things I usually do not panic. It's just the way God made me and I am very grateful for that. Today was different, today was hard, today I panicked, and today I was afraid!
I was running errands in town and had my very precious 2 year old beautiful daughter with me (and also one of the interns Warren as well) We were going to the Post Office to check the box to see if the package from Bekah's mom had arrived. Upon pulling up to the post office Righteous tells me "daddy I want some waddie" (water) So I reply " Rightchy lets go check the box and then I will get you some water" by the time I finish that statement she begins gasping for air screaming my name. Struggling to breathe. I knew exactly what had happen we had just finished a painting project at the school we work with here and she had found the terpintine and drank it thinking it was water.( my dumb mistake I had stored the left over in water bottle and hidden it under my seat and it had slid out into the open she is able to open tops that she couldn't before)
Fear and Panic took over she can't breathe what do I do? I took actual water and poured it over her head and face to thin the turpentine odor away to help her breathe. She still can't breathe I have to get her to the hospital. So I take off holding her begging Jesus to intervene begging Him to keep her alive not knowing at all what was going to happen. She vomited on me several times I never thought I would beg anybody to puke on me but today I did. Navigating the crowded African streets only God got us there safely at that speed.
I run in clutching her praying and weeping yelling for a doctor we got one immediately which is a miracle in itself. He checked her over gave her some injection to help clear the stomach and some medicine to sooth the irritation in the throat and lungs. They monitored her for an hour or so and then released us that was at 3 this afternoon. Now it is well past midnight here and she is completely fine and back to normal the cough is gone but her breathe still wreaks like paint thinner she would burp it up and laugh at the smell and say gross daddy. God is so good. Because she ingested so little and vomited most of it up immediately it was not as serious as it could have been. I let her stay up late because we wanted to make sure everything is still ok she proceeded to tell everyone " Righteous spit on daddy(threw up) and righteous get medicine I don't yike (like) medicine" She is so precious I love her so much there was nothing I could do it was my fault for being careless what a bad decision!

It seems so dramatic when I write it out but its exactly what happen I have never felt more afraid and helpless in my entire life. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my children my daughters have my heart in the palms of their hands anytime they want it. To be honest I am still shaken I am not sure how to deal with these feelings but I know some body who does. His name is Jesus and He paid it all so I have to lay this at His feet and know He always is in control. It's hard because I was so afraid even as I write this I can't stop crying but I needed to talk about it or write about it Thanks for Listening or reading.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

There are so many daddies and mommies out there who can relate to your story. It is good that you have an outlet for your feelings on your blog and I know there will be many who will respond and give you comfort and encouragement - like I am doing right now!!! Jason, you are a wonderful daddy!!! Don't you ever forget it!!! Things like this happen and we cry out to God and HE helps us to move on, learning lessons as we go. I know when I experienced a similar situation with Allie and the feeling of panic and fear and extreme horror beyond anything I have ever experienced washed over me. Then, like you did, when you cried out to God and did what you, as a caring loving dad, instinctly KNEW to do for Righty, God brings you through and all is well again but you find it hard to shake the whole experience from your consciousness! You will heal from this just as Righteous did and you can PRAISE the GOD who is there in EVERY SITUATION!!! I love you all so very much and will pray with you; that you may completely lay this at the feet of Jesus! Can you imagine how Righteous feels about her daddy coming to her RESCUE! You will be fine, just as Righteous is! You are still a wonderful daddy and God is still GOD!

Billy Edwin said...

OOOOO My goodness, yeah that is really scary and we thank God that it is not something that takes us away from Him. In fact I am encouraged just by the way you shared that.

Praise God for you and we will continue to pray for you.

Becca said...

(Hope you don't take this wrong) My mother always told me that God protects fools and children. To me that meant that when I make a mistake God will cover me for my foolishness as long as I seek HIM. You were always in His hands as well as your angel. I'm so glad she is alright! Please don't allow the weight of guilt or shame for a mistake separate you from God's love. It's agonizing when you accidentally put your child in the line of danger, but that child was in God's hands since her creation. I don't know if this is at all encouraging for you. You guys are doing a wonderful job on the field and have become amazing people. Your family is beautiful and everything about you guys have shined Christ! Take heart, you are all safe now, see God in the situation and grow. You guys are always in our prayers. God Bless!

Naomi said...

Hey Jason and Bekah,
I think about you guys often and am so blessed to read about your ministry in Kenya. Children do funny things to their parents. You get married thinking you can never love another as you do your spouse, and then you have children. You love your spouse, of course, but your children have a special place in your heart.
Sydney nearly ran out into the street in front of a car the other week. I don't think I ever felt as terrified as I did in that moment. I screamed her name at the top of my lungs, "Sydney, STOP!" while my insides pleaded, "God, NO!" I'm sure I sounded like a freak, the sheer panic and horror of the moment coming out in my tone of voice. By God's grace it was an older lady driver (not one of the many high school drivers that go down our street everday to the high school just 1/2 a mile away), and she noticed and slowed down.
I must have been a sight, I was very pregnant with Elijah at the time. I grabbed Sydney up, crying like I had not cried since our miscarriage, and carried her inside. I just held her and cried.
God is so good to us. He blessed us that day, as He does everyday, with His loving-kindness and mercy.
May God continue to shower His love, faithfulness and protection over you and your family.
We love you guys,
Naomi, Wayne and the kids

Linda Foster said...

So thankful she is okay. And accidents do happen. Keep on doing just what you are doing. God bless you guys! Linda Foster

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Infatuation casinos? scrutinization this fledgling [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] formal and comprise the r“le for a defy up online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also into our up to the anybody sec [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] advert at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and gather inept unfeeling currency !
another late-model [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] set up is www.ttittancasino.com , actually than of german gamblers, call eleemosynary online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat system[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or misunderstood methods to build an income online.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.c-online-casino.co.uk/]uk casino online[/url] check the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino online[/url] autonomous no deposit perk at the best [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]casino games
[/url].

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.onlinecasinos.gd]Online casinos[/url], also known as accepted casinos or Internet casinos, are online versions of ancestral ("chunk and mortar") casinos. Online casinos approve gamblers to assess as call to account in and wager on casino games with the support the Internet.
Online casinos habitually control odds and payback percentages that are comparable to land-based casinos. Some online casinos taking higher payback percentages in the servicing of depression assignment games, and some quality well-known payout arrangement audits on their websites. Assuming that the online casino is using an aptly programmed indefinitely entourage generator, proffer games like blackjack coveted an established congress edge. The payout slice bully of these games are established sooner than the rules of the game.
Uncountable online casinos contract out or embrace their software from companies like Microgaming, Realtime Gaming, Playtech, Worldwide Artfulness Technology and CryptoLogic Inc.