Thursday, October 15, 2009

Barbeque Kenyan style

On Saturday all the missionaries got together in our area to have fellowship and see our friends new home being built. They were able to purchase land in a nearby village and begin their dream of having their own constructed exactly the way they wanted and once established rent free. Right now it is halfway complete and while we went we all were able to give money towards them getting electricity. Until they get the rest of their funds to complete their house they are still moving into the half that is finished. Them and their two kids will share a bedroom and they have a dining room that can be used as the sitting room-kitchen-etc. I am so happy that they have been finally able to start this process that has been years of hoping and just a thought in their minds. Jason's responsibility was grilling the goat meat (nyama choma). Jason's meat I tried but the goat head was cooked inside the intestines and the stomach was fried up (mtumbo) and I only looked but not touched those dishes.
This is ugali being made which is one of the staple foods for most Kenyans. For the Luya tribe they do not even consider it a meal unless hugali is included. There is not much taste to it but instead it takes on the taste of whatever is eaten with it. The consistency is similar to playdo and when eating you use your right hand to form it into a spoon and then scoop up the stew or sukuma wiki( mostly like collard greens but translated into English is push threw the week). ugali is not a preferance of mine but I totally don;t mind eating it and will be having Catherine cook it for lunch tomorrow. It is super cheap like 50 cents and can feed a big family. We can make a nice cornbread out of the flour.
This is Caleb one of Righteous's best friends here. Her other best friend is Musa. The three of them all all 2 weeks apart which means the two year olds can go from playing nice with each other to yelling and fighting over the same toy. Whenever we get in the car and start driving Righteous always points out which way to go to get to Musa or Caleb's home- she is getting smarter everyday. One of the funniest things she said recently was "Al fatah open up for ice cream!" (Alfatah is the only grocery store in our town and yes sells ice cream but it was closed one night when her and Jas went to get it) Yesterday I heard her talking to some kids and she was saying "I told you..." I am guessing she hears that from me a lot. Nevaeh knows how to nod her head yes and shake her head no but for the no she keeps shaking it for a long time which cracks me up. I ask her "Nevaeh did you go poopoo in your diaper and she starts shaking her head for what feels like a few minutes. Makes me want to keep asking her so she keeps doing it because it is so funny.
I was asking Jessica what in the world she was doing with these kids. She explained to me she was the donkey and they were the cart. This is such a common sight everyday here so of course when playing you rein-act what you see all the time.

We finally got Nevaeh's ears pierced with Suanne (Jaco and Heleen's baby who is 5 months younger than Nevaeh) We were trying to find a store that had two guns to do the piercing at the same time but couldn't find any so it had to be done the more difficult way- one at a time. Jas marked her ears with the pen and I waited outside because I am a big wimp. Laura video taped the whole thing so I watched the process later on.
For the rest of the evening Nevaeh cried wimpered and kept wanting to touch her ears. I realized that is way better to get this done at a younger age. We did Righteous at 3 months old and had no complications. Suanne cried at first but she is too young to be able to tug on her ears. The next day Nevaeh had forgotten about the whole ordeal and everything it fine now. I have been able to twist them during bath time and clean them with alcohol pads since they don't give you any kind of cleaning solution here.
That was not a happy day for Nevaeh.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

mmmm...nyama choma. those were the good days. but i agree with you, bekah, the goat's head is not so exciting for western tongues.
i didn't care for the sukuma wiki either, but a couple of months ago at our county fair, believe it or not, there was a booth with east african food, and there it was...chapati, sukuma wiki and nyama choma...i was so excited, i think i freaked out the vendors. anyway, enjoyed reading your post and just wanted to let you know.
bye,
Naomi and family