Friday, January 15, 2010

Thank you Nairobi

During my Junior year of college I had my internship in Nairobi. I learned a lot about my personal gifting during that time and also came to the conclusion that I would not want to be a missionary in Nairobi or a city like it. During my internship I was able to travel to the town where Jason was living. There is where life is so simple without the modern conveniences and technology that are available in most places. I enjoy going into the villages and learning from the people who have such a different culture than I do. As this town is now my home I truly count as a blessing that my children have this way of life. In America, when families are sitting around their tables eating dinner- and their children are not eating their food, it is common to say "Don't you know their are starving children in Africa..." Righteous and Nevaeh both have seen many starving children in Africa for that is part of our normal life and ministry. The need is so great and the question that we have to ask is what are we going to do about it. Jason and I have the privilege of teaching our daughters how we care for someone when they are hungry and have no money to buy a meal. There are times we do buy food, but their are times we encourage kids to go to school where lunch is provided for and they can get a free education. There are times we will have someone work on our yard or wash our two vehicles in order for them to know you must work to eat. Jason and I both feel we are living out our dreams, being able to serve the people in Africa as our full time jobs.




All that to say even though are home is exactly where I want to be, I am so grateful for Nairobi where we can take a break from the heat, and eat foods that are not available to us. Just a few minutes after arriving in Nairobi we ate a Chinese restaurant. This restaurant was so nice because it had a playground and all kinds of bikes and toys for the kids to play. There is nothing like this where we live. Two days later I was able to have an appointment with the OBGYN and get an ultrasound. The baby looks very healthy and normal which is such a blessing. I weigh 112 pounds which was such a surprise to me. I also found out I can take a malaria preventative medicine at 2o weeks and 35 weeks that is approved by WHO (World Health Organization). The medicine will not harm me or the baby which is such a relief. We have 3 more days here in Nairobi. We will be getting 7 more interns on Sunday and are really looking forward to meeting them. I will post more on them when they arrive.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a good time at the Chinese restaurant! Any free ice cream? :)

extraspecialbitter said...

You ate a Chinese restaurant? You must have been very hungry! :^)

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]