Saturday, August 14, 2010

What He has done

"Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name; make known among the nations what He has done. Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all His wonderful acts." 1 Chronicles 16:8-9

I want to try to memorize the rest of this passage going up to verse 36. So far I have only managed these two and I don't want it to simply be something to recite but to live out. Last week we traveled to Mombassa and only the drive that it usually takes 6 hours to get there it took over 12! We had been driving on a very horrible dirt road that had many spots that looked dangerous to pass when finally we got stuck in thick mud. As Jas opened the Lord to look at the damage the first thing he said to me was "Looks like we will be stuck here for a few hours". There is definitely anxiety that come when you hear that because we had not passed any vehicle for hours- it is noontime and you can feel the hot African sun very well since we have to air conditioning and the thought of know one knows where we are PANIC!! (Let me quickly mention earlier we had pulled over to take potty breaks and the car would not start so we had to wait for some men passing by on a motorbike to help push start us- so we can not turn off the vehicle!) I remembered these verses and began to call out to God and asked the kids to pray with me. "Please Jesus help us or bring someone to help us!" I am so thankful that all three of our kids were sooo good! They totally did not realize the circumstances we were in and just were happy to be out of their car seats. I know the Lord was gracious to me by having them be calm and well-behaved and that certainly helped. Jason kept trying to dig us out by removed the mud all around the tires and then try to drive out but we were just stuck. He reminded me a little of the man vs. wild shows I like to watch. He had his panga (long knife)and was chopping some of the long grass to place under the tires so that they could have some traction. Righteous kept saying "when I am big I am going to cut those like daddy." After several attempts we just had to wait and pray. Finally a vehicle of wildlife rangers came and were able to pull us out. I just had to rejoice because we had no idea when and if someone would come but the Lord was watching over us. I have to tell of what He does for us and do not want to forget it!
You can see Righteous practicing her photography skills during the time of us waiting. She actually is pretty good. We have a beautiful new camera (thank you so much Dru's parents) that is water proof so I feel pretty comfortable with her taking pictures with supervision of course. (How cool that we can take pictures of the fish in the Indian Ocean under water!)



"Remember the wonders He has done, His miracles, and the judgments He pronounced." 1Chronicles 16:12

The other story I want to share happened about a month ago. I had a friend over and she was helping me with my kids while Jason was involved throughout the week with different projects with a team for the States. We went to the only pool in our whole town just to put our feet in. I stepped away from the pool to nurse Charis and my friend stayed with Righteous and Nevaeh. She turned just for a moment to grab our camera and take a picture when Nevaeh decided to try to go swimming all on her own. I looked up that moment and saw Nevaeh floating in the water head down and my friend immediately jumped in the pool to pull her out. Nevaeh took and big breath and was totally fine. It is crazy how fast it is for something really bad to happen. God never looks away and He is always right there with us during the day through all the ups and downs. Righteous talks about this by saying "Nevaeh jumped in the water to swim" and Nevaeh just smiles when she hears that. Thank you God for protecting my children especially during the times I cannot.

3 comments:

Becky Mandich said...

Oh my goodness! It is not hard for me to imagine Jason going at it with a ponga. I miss you guys, I hope you had fun at the coast!

Anonymous said...

Ah...It's been too long since I've gotten an update on you guys. :( Busy busy. Emily arrived today and I was just filled with a missingness of you guys. ...(I don't care that that's not a word, Jason)
Anyways your girls are beautiful (and growing waaaay too fast), you too Bekah (well, you're not growing too fast, don't worry...that is unless you're haveing another baby...but not that it looks that way...oh. I should delete all of that messy comment-ness, but I won't, cause I have a feeling it'll make you laugh)!
Anyways it looks like God has been keeping you guys too. :)
I am SOO excited to see you when you come. Oh my gosh! Come quickly!
Jaco and Heleen back yet?

Warren said...

Eh, Bwana that mud is crazy. Were any of the team with you guys or were they on the bus?? Miss you guys tons.