Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Armor ON!

We had a horrifying thing happen last week here at our local hospital. A mother that just delivered her baby in the maternity ward went to go bathe and a cat jumped on the bed and killed the baby. My prayers go out to this momma upon this tragedy. Jason despises cats even more. The hospital is having people come from Nairobi to get rid of all the cats in the hospital- which Jason would gladly do for free. In the news there also has been mention of people dying if they answer a phone call of a number they do not recognize. I have been warned by several people to not answer my phone if I do not know who is calling and when they say this you can feel the fear that Satan is planting into people. When me and my siblings were growing up my mom had a put on the armor of God every morning before going to school. Eventually my brothers wanted to add other pieces to put on such as Knee-pads of niceness, and my mom told me it got to be up to 18 pieces. I know we are entering into the battlefield on an everyday basis and I wanted my girls to learn now that God has given us a way to protect ourselves and fight the enemy. With this cat killing a baby I can only wander if some of the local witch doctor's put a curse on the cat to do that but what i do know is our battle is indeed against the "powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms"Ephesians 6:12 I will not give into fear but will "be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power" Ephesians 6:10
Jason and the interns recently studied these passages and were able to see a double meaning in many of the armor pieces thanks to discussions from when Warren Sterling was here. For Roman Soldiers their belt was what held everything together- which is the Truth=Jesus Christ that holds our faith complete.For the Roman soldiers they had the helmets with the tall feather-looking thing that stood straight up. This enabled people to see the soldiers from far away just like people should recognize our salvation-it should stand out. When we put on the breastplate of Righteousness- the only way for us to be righteous is through Jesus, so we are putting on Jesus. Also our backs are exposed with the Roman breastplate so we need to watch each others backs. The shield of faith is also important for us to be able to fight off the darts of the enemy with our faith that comes from God! At the end of this passage Paul asks for prayer for himself which is so interesting. He does not ask for prayer for the people he is ministering to- that their souls would be saved or that they will receive a blessing from the Lord, or would be healed. "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel." Ephesians 6:19 I would like to ask that you would pray for me and my family- that we would put this very word into practice.


6 comments:

Bethany said...

It all started when Nate asked about the back and the "backpack of courage" was created. If only he knew we are supposed to watch each other's back,no armor required.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Praise the Lord that He is bigger than anything we come up against.

Esther said...

This is great, Bekah! You are awesome! I want to be just like you when I grow up ;)

Rebecca Mandich said...

aww Rebekah that is such a good idea to do with your girls. Looking at all of the pictures makes me miss you all so much. Charis is getting so big! Love you

Ashley said...

That's such a good reminder about the armor of God! Very timely!
I miss you guys!! Your little girls are soooo cute!!!

Jessica said...

Bekah! I love you!! I love how you interact with your kids and make crafts together with them that have a great meaning! You are doing a great job as a mom!!