Saturday, December 24, 2011

This is now our fourth year out of America for Christmas. It can just no compare. As I think of our current situation being away from even our home in Kenya it makes Christmas even more unique. I was reading about Christ's birth and it really hit me that Joseph had the angel tell him to move to Nazerath because they were in danger in Bethlehem. By no means is what we are going through the same but I feel like we can somehow relate to the feeling Joesph and Mary were going through. The Lord protected them and was with them. I know that is the same for us too today.



I have learned through-out the years that I do not need to always be going out to look for ministry, but it is often right at my doorstep. Every morning I have been able to continue doing homeschool with Righteous and Nevaeh. Here in our new place in Arusha we always have several neighbor children that are always wanting to play or be involved with whatever we are doing. I have started to include them on our lessons. They are repeating the memory verses and listening in on the bible stories, as well as other stories. They join us for snack and will listen in on our songs.


I give so much thanks to Tucker Swamp Baptist for the many goodies you sent to our family through Blair and Adam Chesson. In the picture below our neighbor children are finding so much joy playing with the wooden puzzles. By the way they look at the pieces and try to put them together, it is most likely they have never seen or done one before. I have to be honest there are times it is hard for me to be willing to share things to the local children because I feel like they don't appreciate or have value for things the way I think they should. Books and toys are treated carelessly so that they break and rip easily. This is when I need unconditional love to kick in. I need the Holy Spirit's help and guidance so often through- out the day when my "true self" is so not a pretty picture.




Jason just taught a class on Cross-Cultural Communication to the interns. In it you learn the difference between direct and indirect societies, universal cultures verses particularist cultures, individual verses communal, and mono-chronic verses poly-chronic, and internal verses external. Often times Americans are on one side while countries in Africa are on the other side of the spectrum. I can see this when I watch my children play with other children. As American we teach are children manners and correct them when they take something without asking, first they to need to say please and followed by thank you. This culture is not taught that way so often times I will see children snatch a toy and piece of food from one another. I have found myself to get upset- and on the inside I am saying "That is wrong." The Lord has confirmed time and time again that America doesn't always do things the best way. Also I am not hear to try to change people to be more like Americans. Instead want to hold to biblical standards rather than my home culture standards. This can be quite a battle within how I was raised and all that I know. I want the best for the local children so how can I implement the truths and love that are found in the Bible? It is a concept I am learning everyday.

2 comments:

Jessica Mac said...

Merry Christmas! Praying that you get home in God's timing. I am sure that you are missed by many there.

Bethany said...

I love your African nativity set! I want one! That's great for you to draw a parallel between your situation and Mary and Joseph's.