We have finally been able to go home to our humble abode, about three times in the past month. There is just nothing like home. I was able to visit with my neighbors and go into town and amazed at how normal everything seems. If I did not know there were violent attacks in our town starting back in October, I would have never been able to guess it. There is a sense of peace which just has a look forward even more to when we will be able to move back permanently. We have had to wrestle with the question, "what if things do not calm down and violence continues, what does that mean for our family?" There are many different opinions and answers, but ultimately we go back to the very beginning, from when we first got called to leave America and come Kenya. God said go. So we did. Now this has not changed after the first of six grenades exploded in our town. I am ready to stay here as long as God says. I am ready to go and serve God in another country if He sees fit to send us there. What I know for sure is I want to listen to Him, and right now He has called us here. I have noticed there are a lot more NGO's that have popped up in our town. (Non-Government Organizations) Other than that it seems the same as it has always been.
It was wonderful for me to be able to home-school the kids in "the classroom" we have set aside just for them. I have been able to continue home-school in the many places we have traveled in these past 6 months, but it has always been the best learning circumstances. When were home a few weekends ago we read a book about the underwater life, the names of different whales and fish and more details about coral reef. It was cool that I got to explain that we had just swam in Mombasa's Wasini coral reef that has been rated some of the most beautiful reefs. Then we mixed a bunch of different food coloring colors into 2 tablespoons of bodywash I had spread in a muffin tin. The ultimate goal was to paint the bathtub to look like the ocean with fish and shells but they just had fun.
Right now we have all the college interns staying with us at our home for the weekend. We bought paint last time we were in Nairobi so that when we had time we could paint some of the rooms of our house, which is something I have wanted to do for so long. Well today was the wonderful day that it has happened. The girls room is purple (serindipity), the classroom a dark orange (amber brown), and the living room an olive green (thistle flower). I really love it. It reminds me of America. It is going to make it hard to leave in a few days. But right now I cherish the time to be home.
1 comment:
I so enjoyed reading all you have written! It was good to catch up a little. I continue to pray for you and your family.
Renee Stocks
Post a Comment