Last Sunday, was a very scary night for us and the Germo family. We had just spent the afternoon together, along with the interns, Laura, Pearl, and John at a fun park called Paradise Lost. When we were there I developed a fever and started to have body aches which are the 2 symptoms for malaria. Jason and I decided that Samara and I would go with the Germo's to get tested for malaria and he would take our older three children to the guesthouse and put them to bed. When we were driving out of the park two men with guns stepped out in front of the Germo's van aiming right at us. Another man came right up to the driver side and forced himself behind the wheel while the other 2 also came inside. Those first few minutes they were aggressive with their words as we all agreed we were going to cooperate with them. We all were crying out to Jesus to save us and protect us. They were asking us for 5 million Kenya shillings, which was not even possible and eventually lowered it to 200,000 ksh. During this time we had to give our phones and they searched the car for any money, cameras and the possessions we had with us. We were told to close our eyes and ultimately the arrangements were going to be finalized with their boss. We were now driving to meet up with him. I remember thinking that I was going to be with Jesus by the end of the day. I kept thinking of Jason, and was so grateful He and our older 3 kids were not there. The Germo children were so brave and quiet. There is no way my 3 would have been that way. I kept praying the Lord would have Samara stay sleeping. She normally is so difficult during the evening hours crying and even screaming at times. She did not even wake up once. I had a peace, knowing that people must be praying for us- especially since the following Sunday we had just evacuated from our home. I prayed that the Lord would call upon others to lift us up in prayer. For Dan to know the right words to answer. For Protection. They were planning on holding the family and I hostage while Dan went and found money to bring to them. Then after that they promised they would let us go. Finally we had stopped to pick up the boss. The Boss opened the van door to get Dan out when he looked in the back seeing all the 3 Germo children. When his eyes set on Samara he swore and yelled at the thugs for taking us. He closed the door and went behind the driver seat proceeding to drive drunk- holding a whiskey in one hand. He was speeding and turning corners so fast that I thought we were now going to die from the van turning over. Dan prayed that the Lord would sober him up and the boss changed. Whenever he drove over bumps, sending us airborne, he would apologize and ask if we were okay. The Boss said he wanted Dan to take out his daily allowance out of the atm and then he would release us. He kept asking Dan if he loved his family he better not mess. Dan was able to get the money and give it to them. One thug asked Dan to pray for him and told us it was Jesus who had saved us that night. We drove for a little more and then pulled over to the side of the rode. They got out and let us drive away in the vehicle. We were able to get to a country club and call Jason who was already at the police station- and had filled out a missing persons report. Jason was getting ready to go back to the park to look for us along with 3 armed police officers. The next day we found out that so many of our Kenyan friends were praying for us as well as a prayer chain that started in Minnesota. Once we drove away Dan immediately led a prayer to ask for the salvation for these 4 men. That they would be haunted by what they did and be led to repentance. They would never do this to anyone ever again. We are so grateful to be alive. God was with us every moment. It is easy to think of what might have happened or replay the scary events over and over in our heads. This is another way Satan tries to still battle out, but the victory was already won. God is seated on His thrown and worthy of praise. Even when it is hard to understand why God allowed it to happen, He still is in control and was with us.
9 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I am in tears reading this post! Praise the Lord for His protection and power. He is faithful! Are you shaken up? How is your family doing now? Praying for you... for wisdom in all circumstances. May the Lord empower you and comfort you in this time. I had a situation in Baku where a man attacked me and I was shaken for about 24 hours. I sent a prayer letter out and after that plus a special prayer time with a friend, a peace surrounded me and the my unsettled feelings vanished. The Lord works all things together for good to those who trust in Him. Keep us posted and we will keep praying! Love, the Gilboys
I love your faith and your belief that no matter what God is good. He is seated on the throne...He has won! We are praying for you!
Praise the Lord. Praise Him. Lifting you and your family up in prayer. What an incredible sign of His hand.
So thankful for your safety! Praise God! Love you guys! Randy, Melissa & Celia
Praise the lord!!!
Praise the lord!!!
Praise the lord!!!
I'd told Jason after he most recently sang in TSBC's service that I was blessed to be allowed to hear the angels who sang with him that day. I am now doubly blessed to know that those same angels surround all of you to provide the protection that only God Almight can provide. Praise the Lord! Love you all, and you can count on us to continue to lift you in prayer! Bob, Michelle, Hannah, & Jake
So very thankful for the amazing God we serve and his hand of mercy and protection that night. We love you all and thank God for your willingness to continue to serve in spite of the difficulties you face each day
Post a Comment