I recently went with my children and two intern girls, to a community that s right in the center of our town. I never knew they were there. We had to walk through two narrow alley ways to get there. The whole reason we were going there was because Righteous, Nevaeh, and Charis wanted to get Henna painted on their arms and one of the interns found out this is where to get it done. I could always go into the busy market and find people who do Henna, but that can be very overwhelming. We came into this little neighborhood which had many one roomed homes. They all shared an outside court, in an square shape. Most of the doors to the rooms were wide open to let the breeze enter, while still having a light curtain on the doorway to keep the flies out. When we were passing by many women came out greeting and welcoming us. We passed one room that had couches low to the ground. There were men inside talking to one another and drinking chai. We followed the women into one building where we sat on the floor on a mat. Along the walls were purple pillows for us to lean up against that had lace and beads around the border. There were a few framed pictures on the wall of words written in Arabic. The women were wearing the local dresses with all different colors. I have always found such beauty in the people and how they decorate their home. This is a semi-dessert, so the surroundings look harsh, desolate, and gray. Then you see a woman walking somewhere with her colorful clothing and it is glorious.
As we made our introductions in mixed Swahili and English, there was excitement that we had entered into their home. There were a few older women who did not speak any English but used their expressions and hand gestures to let me know they we happy to see my children. After awhile, I started getting advice from these "Jewish mothers". One would say, "It is so hot here, why don't you put a hat on your baby?" and "You need to give your baby water, she is thirsty." They must think I am a silly white person who needs some guidance. Respectfully I explain that I only give my babies breast milk up to the first 6 months of life, and they are appalled. I am used to these kind of reactions and often see it as an opportunity to educate a different approach on raising children. This conversation has sometimes lead to other ones that are more crucial to growth, hygiene, and survival.
At one point, one of the women asked if she could take Samara and show her husband. I told her yes but to bring her right back. I trust in God, that my children ultimately belong to Him, and He is protecting them all the time. There were times someone asked if they could hold one of my babies and I have said no. I realize I really have to rely on the Holy Spirit's direction in different situations. I never want to be disrespectful but I always want to have wisdom. Samara came back a few minutes later. She is in a stage where has a little separation anxiety when she is away from me. I know she will grow out of this in a few months.
Righteous, Nevaeh, and Charis, did a great job staying still to the best of their abilities. Charis did mess her henna up, but after all she is only two. It would probably be hard for me to stay still for 30 minutes to let everything dry. Another time we will probably go and get their feet done. The girl doing it said she could do it all the same day but for the sanity of me and my kiddos, I think just doing the arms was more than enough for now. As we were leaving they invited us back at the end of this week to celebrate their "christmas" with them. I love the hospitality of the people here. I feel like there is much for me to learn.
1 comment:
Beautiful henna. I love how pleased the girls look with it. :)
Post a Comment