Here it is called the Saloon. We have made three trips there in the afternoons the last week. One of my neighbors asked me why we go. Simply to get out of the house! I am sure any stay at home mom who is homeschooling will understand. I have to get a little creative living in Kenya- thus you have us going to get our hair done. The first hair-do (sorry forgot to take pictures) were lines (corn rows) that cost 75 cents per girl and was done in 2 hours total. The next hair do was twists which cost $1.25 per girl and took about an hour and a half per head so we split that up in 2 days.
One thing that is so nice about spending the afternoon in the saloon is that you get to meet different people who stop by to say hello and see what on earth we are doing. We also got showered with different gifts from those passing by. One man brought us bananas, another lady gave all the little ones lollipops (including Samara yikes!) and the lady doing their hair gave them bracelets.
I feel like I get smarter with each time we all go out. The first day Samara was very difficult, having to wait for all of her sisters to be finished. She is always wanting to crawl around on the floor and just happens to always find things to put into her mouth or wires plugged into the wall. To prevent this I have to hold her, which does build up my arm muscles- but is so tiring for me. The next day I brought tons of toys. That did the trick, not just for her but for the kiddos who were not getting their hair done too. One of my favorite things about Kenya is the little shops, called dukas, that are everywhere. We have one right outside our home that has truly come in handy when I am in the middle of baking something and I find out I have no eggs, or sugar, or flour, etc. I walk outside to the duka and pick them up. Two doors down from the saloon there was a duka, The shop owner loved Samara and held her for awhile. So we sat next to her while we waited. We were entertained by some cows that got into a fight. I had never seen that before.
All in all getting our hair done was a big success. Stay tuned in the future to see what other styles we can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment