Sunday, March 3, 2013

New York versus Kenya

From the moment we left JFK airport entering into America my kiddos have noticed so many differences between here and our home in Kenya.
As soon as we started driving Nevaeh was so confused and asked who was driving- I had to explain that in America we drive on the right side of the road and the driver sits on the left side of the vehicle (in Kenya it is the opposite) They got to see snow banks on the side of the road for their very first time. Nevaeh asked why kept having to stop and I told her what a traffic light was, and we have to stop for red light. We went to sleep very early that first night because of the jet lag.  Early the next morning the kiddos were glued to the front window- watching the gas truck fill up the house for heat, then seeing children boarding the school buses, then watching the garbage truck load the trashcans, and then the electrical truck with the man in the basket going up to fix the wires. Even I am amazed we got to see all those different things in just one morning. The children took a warm bath and for the first time were able to fill up the bathtub all the way to as high as it could go. (we often run out of water in Kenya and use it as sparingly as we can). I continue to remind them we can flush the toilet here after every use but this is a hard habit to break.
For me, I have a certain peace as I look out the window into the neighborhood. For one reason, I can see the street and see cars driving past and people walking their dogs. In Kenya everyone has a high wall with either barbed wire on top or broken glass to protect themselves from unwanted intruders, so all I can see looking out my window is my yard. Another reason I have peace is I no longer have to have my guard up- to be ready to hear about a security problem whether it be gunshots in the air or something else. My heart does not cease to pray for our town and the people that remain living there despite all that has happened this past year and a half. Tomorrow is a very important day. It is the election day for Kenya. Most people are waiting to see what will happen as the result of who gets elected. Last election  brought so much unrest, violence, and murders. My prayer is that everyone has learned from that. Killing did not solve anything. Many lost their homes and lost loved ones during that time. Right now we wait to see what tomorrow will bring. We wait, and pray.
First time seeing snow.


Playing Barbies with Gramie B


Decorating cupcakes with cousins.


4 comments:

Kelly Family said...

Loved hearing about your kids reactions to the different things they are seeing! Praying that your time in the USA is full of rest, peace and refreshing for all of you! Love you guys! Looking forward to having you in GB!! hugs!

Rachel said...

Is it sad that my girls live here and run to the window to watch the "trash guy" and propane man! Guess we just have no life! ;)

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have been praying and praying for you and your family, and thanking God for His wisdom in the timing of this furlough.

Bethany said...

It was funny to keep going to the bathroom to see toilet tissue in the toilet and I knew at Witt girl had used the bathroom right before me! I miss you guys already!