Tuesday, February 25, 2014

We have so much

Jason and I have been listening to a sermon series on the 10 commandments by Mark Driscoll. When we started it I was not expecting to get much out of it, to be completely honest. I mean I don't have a problem with murder, I do not bow down to any graven images, and the last time I have stolen something I was a kid right?
 Well, wrong. When he started talking about coveting I found that I am guilty. I so easily fall into this when I am scrolling along on facebook. I can covet people's stuff, what they are doing, and especially what they are eating and drinking. Part of what makes everything so glamorous is I have no access to what I see, while we live here. What I find myself inwardly doing to cope is to chalking myself up to be some kind of victim.
 How awful. 
There is hope for me. Instead of being envious of others and noticing how much I do not have- I want to choose the exact opposite. I do not want to look to the right or left but look at what is set before me. I want to be grateful. Out of curiosity I asked Righteous and Nevaeh what are some things they are thankful for. Their answers:
My home, God gave us food, God keeps us safe, our barbies, baby dolls, bikes.
They kept going until I had to have them stop so we could continue on with other subjects of homeschool. It gave me a new awareness that we have so much. I live in a third world country and weekly go to places where people do not have running water, electricity, and live in manyattas. (homes made out of grasses) Still I had forgotten how much we have. 
Shame on me.
 I have a feeling I will still struggle from time to time. When those coveting feeling come I need to look up down and all around. I am incredibly blessed from my Heavenly Father. We have more than we possibly need.
Dancing time

We made paper dolls.

making our own brail.

the finished product

Samara is all better, praise the Lord!

Younger two play together, when older two in school.

3 comments:

Toni said...

I love reading this blog! This last post was really inspiring, and reminded me of something I did in 2013, that really began at the end of 2012. I guess I was thinking of a similar thing that I do, which is not always being grateful of things that I have and experience and wanting to do more: I got a jar (that was from walmart and probably meant to fill with candy or coffee or something of that nature) and colored pieces of paper. Each Sunday, for the entire year of 2013, I sat down and reflected on my week and the good things that came out of it and the fun things I was able to experience. It was my New Year's Resolution, and there was not ONE week that went by where I couldn't find three things that made me happy to think about and reflect back on, and really showed me everything I have and am thankful for. It's a lot to do each and every week, especially with four beautiful and energetic daughters- but it could be fun just talking about it with each other like you did too! It really helped remind me of everything amazing that happens in life. Love and miss you all!xoxox

The Wittz said...

Toni! That is very inspiring to look back each week and find something to give thanks for. Also is amazing that each week you were always able to find something. For sure I want to do this with my kiddos.They are such children where they are always looking forward to the net gift, or next piece if candy and my desire for them is to learn how to be content too. I know they are young but together if we can count our many blessing, how much more satisfied we will be.

Renee Stocks said...

Sometimes I have to say to myself, "God, I love you more than (chocolate, between-meal snacking, or whatever I am craving and abstaining from), to attack the temptation. I know it is not the same as what you experience, because you generally CANNOT have what you are craving, and I am only CHOOSING to abstain. I understand completely how the unmet desire can so easily morph into something skewed, even when it is being unmet because of our choices for God. Praying for you.