Friday, April 25, 2014

You are here

I am picturing a map. Like the ones that were in the malls so that you can find where all the different stores are. 
I can look back on my past and see all the different experiences I have had. Moments I am not proud of and I am grateful for grace and forgiveness. Then there are the times I can stand in awe of who God is and all that He has done for me. I am so curious what the next few years will hold. But for now, as I look at the map, I see the sticker that says. 
You are here.
Kenya's latitude and longitude is 1° 00' N and 38° 00' E . 
Geographically that is where I am right now. 
Living in East Africa. 
When I put our town's name on Wikipedia here is some information I got:

G-town has a semi-arid and hot desert climate (Köppen BSh and BWh). Rain falls infrequently, usually only around April or October, and quite sporadically from year to year.
Wildlife in the area include the gazelle, giraffe and endangered hirola.

I can look around and tell where I am by what I see in the physical. What I also want to do is see where I am on the inside. 

I have leaned so much about who God has made me. There has been many times here in Kenya where circumstances have threatened to bring fear into my life. During those times God's word has really come alive for me. Over 150 times in the Bible it says "Fear Not" and usually followed by "I am with you". I am not to be afraid, not because something is not scary but because the Lord's presence is here. There is someone whom I am to fear. God Almighty. He deserves my fear of being my Creator and giving me my Savior. 
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fear the Lord is to be praised."

I have also discovered specific "talents" that the Lord has placed in me. Things I am passionate about that I want to use to serve the people around here. 

#1 I love doing art. I would not say I am an artist by any means but I enjoy using my hands and making crafts. I have opportunities almost every week to bring art to some children who live in this community. This brings me such joy.

 #2 I enjoy baking. My children will usually tell anybody that we meet "My Dad is the cook and my mom is the baker." It is true. Jason is amazing in the kitchen. I do not know how he makes meals with so much flavor with our very limited resources. While he does this I love making breads and different desserts. I know I am serving the Lord when I make these with a cheerful heart for my family as well as the times I make for others.

#3 I always want to be reading a good book. Books can challenge me and become alive for me. There have been times I have felt the Lord use a book to speak to me. I enjoy when I can read my own books but I equally cherish the times I get to read with my children. The homeschool curriculum we use pride's itself on learning through books. One of our favorites is a compilation of missionary stories from around the world. It reminds us God is moving in the lives in people in all nations. 

#4 I LOVE being around people. Everyone has something to offer. Everyone was created in God's image. Everyone has been fearfully and wonderfully made. When I watch the news and see the evils in the world and can be easy to question this about people. I never want to forget there is a constant battle going on with the enemy. He is who I am fighting against. Not people. What I desire is I always have biblical truths and encouragement to give to the people I love. I need to be faithful in reading the Bible in order to be ready to deliver what it says. This is of great importance to me. 

I have no idea what comes next but as I look back and look at the now, I have confidence with what is yet to come because God is the one who holds the future. 
We got some rain.

Our children love playing in the rain- as if it was the pool they have always wanted.

We got invited to another wedding. Yes they where dress-up clothes to weddings.

The full clan before the wedding.

On nights without electricity.

These glow balloons are so cool.

Celebrating Easter with a picnic net to the wild giraffes.

Doing an art project with some local children.

We cut up eyes, ears, lips,etc. from magazines and made a collage with scriptures about God forming and making us.

2 comments:

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you so much for the slices of life you take the time to share, and for the photos. I thoroughly enjoy it all!

Bethany said...

I think you are an artist Moose! :-)