Friday, May 9, 2014

Fishermen

This past week at a glance= we had Samara's birthday party- a theme of Frozen out here in the desert. (I will have to post a few photos of what we did next blog). I got sick for 2 days and I was down and out to do much at all. We stayed cool in the kiddie pool, read about the Great Wall of China, got to visit and eat with friends, and do our shopping needs of fresh produce in our town. Simple. Nothing mind blowing. I always wonder- is their so much more expected out of me? Shouldn't I have a great big scroll of events I participated in and conquered. Am I falling short of what others want to hear about what I have done.

 I have just read when Jesus first called the disciples. Two brothers casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 

"Come, follow me, Jesus said,
"and I will make you fishers of men."

I immediately think, I want to be fishers of men! AM I doing this? What do I need to do? And then I look at the first part of what Jesus said. "Come, follow me." That takes a whole load off of me. I need to follow Him by listening to His words, learning from Him, seeking Him. Who cares if I am not measuring up to others, He is what really matters.

 Right after that portion comes the Sermon on the Mount with the Beatitudes. 

BLESSED ARE THE POOR IN SPIRIT, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO MOURN for they will be comforted.
BLESSED ARE THE MEEK, for they will inherit the earth.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO HUNGER AND THIRST FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS for they will be filled.
BLESSED ARE THE MERCIFUL, for they will be shown mercy.
BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART, for they will see God.
BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS, for they will be called sons of God.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE PERSECUTED BECAUSE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I am blessed now and I have been so blessed in the past. I desire to be a fishers of men, but my focus is on following Christ and His words. I believe that as I hunger and thirst for righteousness, I will be filled. I am Blessed.

Jason brought home a bunch of fish from the farm.

He wanted to get a price of what people would be willing to sell for the size they are at now.

They are jumpy little guys.





We found out the price and sold a few, now the rest is left for us to EAT!

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

I can so relate to your thoughts about the ordinariness of most days, and agree completely with the reminder that what we are to do first is follow Jesus and He will choose for us what belongs to each day. XO