It is so hard to believe Charis just turned four. That four years ago, we had 3 people visiting over at our house and Charis came into the world in our bathtub. Five weeks early. Completely healthy and fine. I give all thanks to the Lord God because it is nothing in my own strength that I could do.
So what kind of gifts is there to get for a Birthday, in our small town in Kenya? We are surrounded by such a unique mixture of cultures. So why not do the same methods that the people do when they are celebrating? We did a beauty day of henna and getting Charis hair did and the local saloon.( I promise that is how we say it here) I originally talked to my older girls that Charis would be the only one getting "all the works done", after all it was HER birthday. But the girls doing our henna insisted we all should have a little done, so that we all could participate in the special occasion. I really enjoyed the full morning as we sat around in their living room, talking and watching the beautiful artwork unfold on our skin. It reminds me of the story of Esther where before she met the king, her and the other women would have a year full of beauty treatments. I know it talks about cosmetics, perfumes, lotions, it just sounds wondrous. I take such pride and joy being a female- to me there is so much more to be able to do. All four of my girls seem very similar to me. We delight in all things feminine. In the afternoon Charis got cornrows, which are called lines here.
Henna on arms and feet 300 ksh (little less than 4 bucks)
Hair done 150ksh (little less than 2 bucks)
Then on Saturday we had some of her friends over from the nursery school we attend occasionally. It was a lot of fun. Some of the adults played the games along with the children and I think they might have enjoyed them a little more than the kids. It was the perfect few days to laugh and be grateful for Charis-who God has made and formed over four years ago. What a great Giver of Life He is.
1 comment:
What a delightful post!!!
Post a Comment