Jason wrote in the last post that this past month Kenya has received some attacks. The first attack happened during the night in a town and over 50 people were shot and killed. The following day the government gave a promise to fully secure that area and have it patrolled by the police. The same night 10 more people were shot and killed around that same area. Jason and I were watching the Kenyan news and there was a reporter from that place that went with his video camera riding on a motorcycle and recorded around that town the second night. He did not see one single security officer walking about making any patrols. The streets were completely empty. There has been much speculation on who is responsible for these attacks. The two prime suspects are either terrorists or having to do with politics. On the news program we were watching they brought a Former U.S. marine to give his opinion on what was happening. He said something to the affect of there being a probable cause for either the terrorists group or a political agenda on this town. He asked "Who owns the night?" The marine said that this is the crucial question that Kenya needs to work on. During the day there is always an ample amount of security carrying out their investigations. There is many police checkpoints on the roads. But at this time the military most certainly does NOT own the night.
For a few days I was quite consumed with all of this. To hear what was going on in this country and then read the headlines of what is going on in other countries it is heart wrenching. In my head I associate darkness as a symbol of evil. It is where things can be hidden and covered up. I didn't understand why Kenya's police force wasn't able to bring protection and safety for the citizens that live here. When I talked to my neighbors I could hear that fear was beginning to grow because if this could happen in that town, it could also happen anywhere. My neighbors were wondering, "What if it happens in a small village where people are defenseless. There is no one to turn to- to help."
I was convicted by my missionary friend, that our eyes should be steadfast on the Lord especially in these times of trouble. The Bible foretells about much disaster and destruction that is to come. As a believer we need to be prepared to point others to Christ and share that we do have hope if we have Jesus. I will continue to pray for Kenya. There is still so much uncertainty. So much distrust. What I KNOW to be true:
"In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
He existed in the beginning with God.
God created everything through him,
and nothing was created except through Him.
The Word gave life to everything that was created,
and his life brought light to everyone.
The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness can never extinguish it.''
John 1:1-5 New Living Translation
and Matthew 5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way let your light shine before men,, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
| Yesterday Righteous brought a hoola hoop to the nursery school. |
| Who wants to try, "ME!" |
| Righty teaches the youngest class outside |
| Walking with it (thanks Ellie Germo for teaching us) |
| Teacher Grace trying. |


1 comment:
Thank you so much for always including photos. I enjoy them each so much!
Post a Comment