![]() |
| Taken 1 week before Baby Nathan made his appearance. |
I had my first baby in America, getting to see how the process goes during labor and after. My last 3 daughters have been delivered here in Kenya. All four have been natural- and my labors have been only 2-3 hours long- too fast to be given any epidural- although I would have wanted gotten one if I could. In the States I was given a basket full of baby things that the hospital provided. A couple of newborn diapers, booger sucker, two pacifiers, footprints, etc. A week after I was home a received a phone call from the lactation consultant who wanted to check up with me how I was doing with breastfeeding. Before I left the hospital the consultant had come to make sure everything was working out okay and left a card for me to call if I had any questions. My recovery time afterwards always seem to be fast. I would be out and within a few days from being discharged and would just need extra time to sleep when I came home from my outing.
Here in Kenya there is a different care given to a new mother and baby. There is a 40 day period that immediately follows a delivery (even if the baby is born still birth) when the mom and the baby will remain in their bedroom except for the doctor checkups. The new mother will often have a relative come to specifically cook for her, clean her clothes and see to any other needs that she might have. This is to ensure that for those 40 days the mother can fully heal and bond with her baby.
My friend Vicky had a cesarean section because she not only was 2 weeks past her due date but also because the babies heart rate was getting slower. She has a special diet in which she is only suppose to eat and drink hot liquids and no milk yet. This is done to make sure there isn't any strain on her stomach while she is recovering. I remember hearing this advised to me, from a friendly neighbor, right after I had Nevaeh in Nairobi. My neighbor had come to visit me as I was eating normal foods that I have always eaten. I was kindly scolded that I should only be eating soups. Such a different way of life here.
Laura and I got a chance to visit Vicky in the hospital. She was doing remarkably well and was discharged after two days. We have gotten to visit her at home along with our own little ones who were so eager to meet Baby Nathan. Both times he was sleeping so deeply and Vicky had the radiant glow of a new mother.
| At the hospital |
| Does anyone know why my camera is making this glare? |
![]() |
| Nevaeh holding baby Nathan at Vicky's home. |


No comments:
Post a Comment