 |
| We learned about the fruits of the Spirit in homeschool. |
If I could speak all the languages of the earth and of angels but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all the knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I had to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it, but I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing."
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 NLT
This was a great week! We had the Kelly family come to visit us and we have gotten to do many things. The guys and my older ones went camping one night. They went right next to the river and talked about seeing the glowing eyes of the hippos all night. I have never been camping here, only when I was in the States. It does not sound fun to me- because they do not use tents, no bathrooms, and sleeping next to the river creeps me out. Besides camping, we all got to do an art project/skit/song to the local school we attend, and help out at the clinic. With long days we can all get more easily annoyed with each other. My girls can be so caring to others once we leave our home but when we return I hear, "That's Mine! MOM, she took my favorite doll from me!" Then I have Samara who has mastered how to copycat. So I hear all the arguing words, twice. In my own heart my patience is spent at the end of the day. I expect my children to be a little bit more perfect and they are coming up short.
When I read chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians, it brings things to perspective. We can do so many good things but if do not have love it is totally useless. We will never be perfect. We desperately need Jesus to help us set aside our natural (selfish) desires. When we allow Him to do this is when we bare fruit. I really want all 9 of them to shown in my life. (Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self- control). There are bumps in the road that can discourage me along the way. For example: We had listened to an Mark Driscoll sermon how Christians will say "I will pray for you" and there be no action to actually help someone in need. He said something like, "If you know someone is hungry, you don't even need to pray for them to get a sanwhich, there is a sandwich in your fridge for them!"
My bumps in the road came two weeks ago. I truly believe everybody deserves to eat. I have never had to go without a meal and God has given me the resources to be able to give to others that are hungry. On a Wednesday morning, the children and I were coming out of our grocery store, when a beggar man come right in the middle of us and our vehicle. My mother bear protective instincts were in high gear, wanting us all to get safely into the car and then home. I hear the small voice saying, "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me." So I step in front and greet him, he is deaf and mute. I quickly unlock the door and he opens the door. At first I think he is going to go in and sit down in my car but then I realize he is opening it for my kids to get in. So one by one the kids go in and he closes the door. Now when it is just him and I he rubs his stomach to show he is hungry. Jason and I have agreed we will not just give money to beggars but we can always give food. I look in my grocery bags and I have bought a bag of cashews that I was planning on using in a dessert. That was all that I had to offer to eat so I took it to hand to the man. He began shaking his head and rubbed his fingers together to show he wanted money. I told him I was sorry but the cashews was what I had. He walked away. I can get frustrated because there are many beggars in our town who just want money to spend on miraa a.k.a Khat. Even though that happened to me, I have to remember it is not my job to do anything more than to show love. Not to judge that man-which I found my thoughts doing.
I love the last part of chapter 13- it applies so much to me, "Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. Three things will last forever-faith, hope, and love-and the greatest of these is love." There is so much I do not understand, but it is not the time for me to know. That time will come. For now, Lord give me more love.
 |
| We taught about the fruits of the Spirit to our missionary kids friends. |
 |
| Righteous taking temperatures at the clinic. |
 |
| Nevaeh cutting up medicine for the clinic. |
 |
| Handing out paper and crayons to color while they wait to see the doctor. |
 |
| I was showing the twistable crayons. |
 |
| Lord let us have your love while we do these things or there is no point in doing them at all. |
1 comment:
I have 3 comments.
1. Wow! Your hair gross so fast! It looks beautiful, very Elsa like!
2. I love your fruits of the spirit! They look great! You are super duper talented!
3. Amen about the patience! I feel like all parents need extra portions! Personally, mine seems to run out so fast! Maybe there is a hole in my tank :)
Post a Comment