Sunday, September 21, 2014

First day of the school year.


We started school the second week of September. This year a friend, Chris let us send the curriculum to him when he was in the States over the Summer and he carried it over here to us. That is no small thing considering it was around 50 pounds of books Thank you so much Chris!

The first week we memorized the continents and oceans and this past week was all the countries in the Middle East. I don't think I could have named all of those before having the song that helps us to memorize. We start the morning with Bible and then comes History, and a chapter book. We break for 15 minutes for Chai- this is Kenya after-all. We end the morning with Language Arts, Spelling,and Science. Nevaeh and Righteous take turns reading to me and slowly but surely they are improving. We are behind on Math because I do not do it with them everyday. Then we do a whole bunch of Math on one specific day to try to catch up. Math was my favorite subject growing up, but it is so different having to teach it. The money part is especially hard for my kids to retain since they never see it or use it hear at all but we are plugging away anyways.

Now what are the two youngest doing this whole time? Most of the time they are really good about playing with each other. Charis is finally fully potty trained, (she can wipe on her own!) and so I only have to take time out to change Samara's diapers now. There have been a few times the younger two have gotten into mischief. One day they had removed all of the toilet paper from the bathroom and filled up all the plastic cups in their toys kitchen with water another day- with trails of water leading from the bathroom to their bedroom. They have removed all the bed sheets and pillows to make forts and also have put make up on each other- not just on their faces but legs, arms, etc. When it is quiet for more than 10 minutes I always know I will find some surprise wherever I find them. There are days when they hang out in the home-school room and I  realize later on in the day, that they were somewhat paying attention because Charis will ask a question about a book we were reading about. Samara can mention a few of the continents as well as some Bible verses-way to go!




Samara is wearing her back pack filled with everyone's toothbrushes. 





4 comments:

Bonnie said...

So awesome! And they have an awesome "science" lab out in the greenhouses!

Renee Stocks said...

Your first day of school pictures remind me of all those taken in our own homes over the years. It's so fun that you mark the beginning of the school year just as many here in the States do. :)

Unknown said...

💜 sending love and prayers

Bethany said...

I love Samara's dress! I feel like I was into that style when I was six.