Sunday, October 19, 2014

An impact from Green Bay

My beautiful, lovely, joyful friend Josephine translating.
 Last week a team came to our town from Green Bay, Wisconsin. We did many many things. Jason worked with the men at the farm during their time. I took the women to 3 different schools in the beginning of the week and then out to the farm to serve at the medical clinic. Here are some pictures of us getting to sit in on a Women's Help Group. (Basically Micro financing) Laura put together many different projects that the women could possibly replicate and then sell for income. I have bought a beautiful hand woven mat from these women groups-I will have to show a photo next blog.

With each group they open up in prayer. Then they record how much each woman is giving in a notebook. There is a minimal amount that they have agreed on. They all take a piece of paper from a pile (it reminds me of casting lots) and whichever 2 women have a marking on the paper, they receive the money for that week. These 2 women will not be able to receive money the following week. This allows them to pay medical bills or school fees. It allows them to purchase more material to make something to sell. They can buy food for their families and news clothes. Before these women groups started, many families wondered each day how they would find a way to make ends meet . These groups have given them hope and provided an opportunity to make money. It is a step for a woman's liberation. It was amazing to watch and understand what this could do for the future of these villages. The day is ended with song and dance.
Tracy and Bonnie sitting on a mat as the children watch

Showing earrings
Chrissy showing the women how to crochet 

Tracy showing a different group how to crochet

Laura teaching the women, Josephine translating.


Tracy was asked if she would dance with the women

We learned that the dance was one they do when I woman has just given birth to a baby. The motions to this dance look like positions you do when you are in labor. 

"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!" Psalm 30:11-12

1 comment:

Jubilee Christian Church Garissa said...

Thanks Witts for capturing this so well. I pray that Jesus Christ will be known in this community even as we continue to share His love by His grace! Much love to you! Shalom!