Monday, December 8, 2014

A little taste of India

Darkening my eye shadow 
Kenya has a large population of people who migrated from India many generations ago. I know of two families that live in our town. One of them own a wholwsale shop where we buy household goods. The ladies also sell beautiful Indian outfits. Over the years some of the interns and I have gone to their home for cooking classes and to share a meal. This year the youngest son, who is 19, wanted to go to our farm for his birthday and have a picnic together. His parents arranged his marriage two months ago. Yesterday we had the privilege to attend his wedding.
We first went to the groom's home as everbody was getting ready. I was asked "Where is your lipstick?" I confessed I don't own any,  only lipstick.  I was brought to the bedroom and had my make up applied properly.
Next it was time to get into our cars and parade  in a line to the "hall" for the ceremony. It was great fun to take part in honking our horn along with the other vehicles to let the town know the wedding is about to begin. (My truck has been in the shop getting fixed because we were rear ended a week ago. A big thanks to Philip and Starlene Harmen who let us borrow their car which has a musical horn)
We arrived to elegant white tents with signs of the "men only " side and "women and children "side. We parted ways with Jason and Tim and found a table in the front.
There was hindi music playing in the background. It was hard for me to follow all that was happening because it was either in Arabic or in the mother tongue. What I do know is that the bride sat under one tent completly covered under a thick veil and the groom was in the tent next to hers with his male relatives. There was a curtain wall seperating them from seeing one anither. There was a time of prayer and I'm pretty sure an exchanges of vows. Then there was an announcement that the sabbat was in a few minutes and the men could pray on the mats behind the tents and women could pray right next to the tents. Food was ready to be served both meat and vegetarian dishes. While we were standing in line to get our plates both the groom's family and bride's family left so that the new bride could be unveiled by her new husband in a private location.
When we were finished eating the bride and groom returned hand in hand looking radiant. It was there time to eat together first time as husband and wife. We went to congratulate and say goodbye until we meet again.
It was a joyous celebration to be apart of. I can't help but look forward to an much greater wedding in the future!
"Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting :
Hallelujah!
For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and the bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear.
Blessed are those who are invited to
the wedding supper of the Lamb!
Revelation 19:6-9




The men heading over into their tents

Getting ready to sit at our table in the Women's section. 

The vehicle's were decorated with jasmine that was brought from Mombassa.

If you look in the background you can see the bride completely covered with her veil.

Bride and groom return. 








2 comments:

Naomi said...

beautiful wedding!
What a great picture of you two at the end as well!

Bethany said...

Moose, you look so beautiful in the Indian dress! Jason looks nice too :-)!